Thread: White cloudy look after plating help

MrPontiac is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

Default White cloudy look after plating help

Ongoing problem i seem to be having, after i copy cadicon anything i am getting a white cloudy look. parts come out from copy cadicon looking shinny and nice, minute they start drying more im getting this white cloudy look. I wash parts immed. after plating with distilled water and run them over tap water for about 6 sec. Ive tryed both with and without tap water method and its still happening. Looking for any ideas to try to cure this ongoing problem.

XK120DHC is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

Default Re: White cloudy look after plating help

Quote Originally Posted by MrPontiac View Post
    Ongoing problem i seem to be having, after i copy cadicon anything i am getting a white cloudy look. parts come out from copy cadicon looking shinny and nice, minute they start drying more im getting this white cloudy look. I wash parts immed. after plating with distilled water and run them over tap water for about 6 sec. Ive tryed both with and without tap water method and its still happening. Looking for any ideas to try to cure this ongoing problem.
    Pontiac;
    Sounds like "White Rust".. In other words, your parts are "oxidizing" shortly after being plated. Maybe not plating long enough.. low amps, etc.
    That said, try a mild acid "Bright Dip" (3% Muratic or Battery acid.. 0.5% Nitric if ya got it). 30-40 seconds in the dip, max... Do a "Double Rinse" after the acid dip (two separate containers of distilled water) Upon removal from the acid dip, hold over the acid dip bucket and spray the parts with distilled water from a spray bottle, then drip then douche parts in the first rinse, drain then douche in the second rinse.. "Force Dry" if you can. I use a food dehydrator set at 145 degrees (F) and "cook" my parts for 20 minutes.
    If you aren't already doing so (and it sounds like you aren't), ya might want to Clear Chromate the fresh plated zincicon parts.. The Chromate protects the zincicon from oxidizing.
    Charles

Always acid etch my parts for about 10 sec.I am using a 10% mixture. right from there i am dipping my parts in a plastic container full of distilled water and then right to the copy cadicon tank. I am going to degrease my parts a little better with a better degreaser and see if that helps at all. After glassbeading i do not degrease again, maybe ill try this method to see what happens.

GHudgens is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Not sure what you mean by a cloudy look. But from my experience with copy cadicon, after the parts dry, they have a kind of white look to the zincicon. I don't use the brightener so if I want them bright I polish on a wire wheel brush. If you look at the parts closely after plating, you will see fine particles of zincicon on the surface. This is what is removed when you polish (at least thats what I think). These fine particles tend to look somewhat white. This is normal for my experience. I tried the brightener once and it simply does not work for me.

I would suggest you change your procedure a little. I sand blast almost all of my parts. If you are bead blasting that will probably do as well. After sandblasting, I blow the part off with compressed air and then I simply rinse in tap water and then I use a spray bottle to spray the part down with distilled water. (Dipping it in a bucket of distilled water has the potential to introduce contaminants that could come from a previous part that was not completely clean, plus you probably use a lot of distilled water) I then go to the plating tank with the part and start plating. I do not use a pickle anymore when I sandblast. There are some exceptions for very rusted parts that have fine depressions and nooks and crannies. Thats a special problem which I have a solution for but I will not go into here.

I would also suggest that you filter your plating solution after each plating session. I get a white buildup in my plating tank so I filter after every plating session and I clean my tank and hardware by dipping in Pickle #1 followed by rinses.

I always rinse my parts with tap water when I take them out of the bath. I then ususally hang them and let them air dry. If I am in a hurry, I will dry the part with a cloth towel.

My parts look fine and they take chromate OK.

Jerry Hudgens

I have been using a hair dryer on my parts then air dry. Cloudy look i mean i can hand polish some parts on a wire wheel and copy cadicon them and the parts with brightner added come out and dry shinny, Now when parts are drying they have white swirls or cloudyish look to them.I never had to polish most of my parts once out of copy cadicon, once they dry there are done.

Thread Information