Thread: Chrome Removal - Golf Club

Choopi is offline New User

Default Chrome Removal - Golf Club

Hi all. I had been reading the threads in regard to muriatic acid and chrome removal.

This is my issue.

I have a forged wedge that has been sitting in a 50/50 muriatic acid/water solution for the better part of 3 hours. I have been pulling it out with pliars to check the progress every hour or so. It appears to still have the shiny chrome finish on it.

I did not use the battery-charger method, however.

Does anyone have any insight here?

Thanks!!!

lcaswell is offline Caswell Inc President

Default Re: Chrome Removal - Golf Club

You've probably got the chrome off and are looking at the nickel plateicon that is under it. They look very similar.
    --
    Lance Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

That would be great if that is the case!!

Typically, how long would it take to remove the chrome if the part is just sitting in the muriatic? Will leaving it in the acid too long cause the metal to be eaten away?

Is there and home-remedy way to remove the nickelicon underlay? I know you guys sell MetalX, but I have heard BAttery Acid also works.

I am sorry about all the questions, but I tried to purchase the Caswell Manual but the wonderful guys from the Canadian Caswell site are on vacation. No book for me until they get back

Thanks SO much for the information!!
    Last edited by Choopi; 11-01-2006 at 03:16 PM.

moto-chrome is offline New User

When you place a chromed part in muriatic acid there is a short delay and then the chrome starts to bubble quite a bit so you can't miss it. It normally takes 5 to 45 minutes to remove chrome. When a nickeled part is placed into battery acid (pickle number 3) it turns very yellowish after 50 seconds. Get used to recognizing this color because you will very often have to re-activate nickelicon and this is the sign. Longer periods make it turn almost a copper color.

Thanks for your response. Excuse my ignorance, but in what cases would I have to "re-activate" the nickelicon? Can you please elaborate more on this?

Thanks again!
    Matt

68commando is offline New User

Matt,

Re-activate means to get the nickelicon ready for re-chroming, at least that is my take on it. Please note that the last post mentioned that if you put the club that now has only nickelicon on it in battery acid, in 50 seconds it will turn yellow and finally a green color. This is to let you know that the nickelicon is ready for plating and the chrome is gone. But you will have to make sure that the polish is to your liking and all the chrome is removed or it will appear as it is after chroming. I am not sure you are re-chroming this club or not? If you inspect it carefully under a magnifying glass you may be able to see if all the chrome is gone, there is a slight color difference in chrome and nickelicon. You will have to polish it to see the difference. I haven't had good luck removing chrome with the muriatic acid alone, but then I am trying to get down to the base metal. I like to use the muriatic acid with current, put the + on the item to de-plate and the - on a piece of stainless and feed it all the current you have available. The stainless will bubble like crazy and the plated item will eventually turn black and the chrome and nickel will come off easily in just a few minutes if you can supply several amps per sq inch of plating. I use 5 amps for small items like 2 or 3 nuts, or maybe 1 1/4-30 bolt.

Dave

Thanks for the response. I am not looking to rechrome after I pull everything off the head. I am also trying to get to the base metal so the club will Rust.

I looked today at Home Depot for a decent size Stainless Rod, but the largest diameter I could find was a 1/2" threaded rod. Would this work for battery charger method? Would you suggest using an actual automotive battery for this method? If not, how large of a battery charger would you suggest?

I left the wedge in the muriatic acid for a decent while, and the acid turned this green colour you speak of.

An I reading this correctly when I see that muriatic will remove the nickelicon underlay under the chrome as well? I had been under the understanding that muriatic will remove the chrome, and battery acid will remove the nickelicon.

Lay this out for me from start to finish, if you don't mind. Just so we are on even ground here..

Thanks again for your time!
    Matt
    Last edited by Choopi; 11-04-2006 at 10:06 PM.

moto-chrome is offline New User

Wow it's the first time I hear of a person wanting a part to RUST ! OK I think 68commando's reverse current method will de-plate any metal. In theory the metal ions leave the part and flow towards the the stripping plate so we don't really care what it is made of. Stainless - sure but you could use anything really. I use a lead sheet personally but when i started I used one of my wife's tin cookie sheets. I use 1 amp per sq. in. so if your club is about 10 sq. inches, the quick solution is a 10 amp battery charger. If you're only going to use one stripping plate then rotate the part regularly.

By the way grab something that's Chromed in the house and take it outside with your club. If your club is on nickelicon it will be yellowish compared to the bluish hue of chrome.

One more quick question here...

Will a car battery suffice for a power source rather than a battery charger?

NOL4154 is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Thumbs up Re: Chrome Removal - Golf Club

Hello,
    To remove plated chrome is simple the following is 30-40 % hydrochloric acid solution. This should take a few minutes not hours. You need to have an eye how chrome look vs. nickelicon. Chrome makes nickelicon look like a mirror. Compare a chrome plated part vs a strip part. Write back
    Nol4154

Hi all. I had been reading the threads in regard to muriatic acid and chrome removal.

This is my issue.

I have a forged wedge that has been sitting in a 50/50 muriatic acid/water solution for the better part of 3 hours. I have been pulling it out with pliars to check the progress every hour or so. It appears to still have the shiny chrome finish on it.

I did not use the battery-charger method, however.

Does anyone have any insight here?

Thanks!!!

Thread Information