Thread: Plating stainless steel watchcase with white gold

fredj is offline New User

Default Plating stainless steel watchcase with white gold

I would like to plate an empty stainless steel wrist watch case and bracelet with white gold and I have a few questions:

1. There is a kit for plating gold, but I did not see a kit for "white gold". Can this be done and, if so, what do I need (I am guessing that I will need the stainless steel wand and two stainless steel activators listed on the parts page, but I am not sure which kit or other parts)?

2. From those who may have done this before, are you happy with the result? That is, did the white gold plating look like white gold and did the plating stay plated? If not, how long did it last and can I just re-plate whatever comes off?

3. Can I plate the case without removing the sapphire crystal? Would masking the crystal with masking tapeicon or something like that be sufficient to keep the crystal safe? Will the plating damage it?

4. Can the plating be done on both polished and brushed stainless steel surfaces?

5. Any general hints or "gotchas" that you can pass along?

drayegon is offline New User

Default Re: Plating stainless steel watchcase with white gold

Not sure why you are wanting to plate with white gold. All white gold is a piece of gold with a high silver content. The funny thing is when you normally see white gold you are not seeing white gold. You are seeing the Rhodium plating over the top of the white gold. The Rhodium plating holds a better shine. Corrosion also is better. Spins dray

Quote Originally Posted by fredj
    I would like to plate an empty stainless steel wrist watch case and bracelet with white gold and I have a few questions:

1. There is a kit for plating gold, but I did not see a kit for "white gold". Can this be done and, if so, what do I need (I am guessing that I will need the stainless steel wand and two stainless steel activators listed on the parts page, but I am not sure which kit or other parts)?

2. From those who may have done this before, are you happy with the result? That is, did the white gold plating look like white gold and did the plating stay plated? If not, how long did it last and can I just re-plate whatever comes off?

3. Can I plate the case without removing the sapphire crystal? Would masking the crystal with masking tapeicon or something like that be sufficient to keep the crystal safe? Will the plating damage it?

4. Can the plating be done on both polished and brushed stainless steel surfaces?

5. Any general hints or "gotchas" that you can pass along?

Thread Information