Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way sand aluminum and to be able to do it fast?

quadracer2cool4u is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Question What is the best way sand aluminum and to be able to do it fast?

I need some advice on how to sand aluminum really fast before polishing it because I do a lot of parts and need to do them quick . The way I知 doing it right now is I usually spray some VHT fast strip on it(On parts were VHT doesn稚 work like on calipers I sandblast them) then I go over with greaseless compoundicon on a spiral sewn with grits 240 and then 400. Once I知 done with that I polish with a sisal wheel that has black compoundicon on it, and then a denim with white compoundicon. The polisher I have now is a セ hp, 3600 rpm that is for 8 In wheels. So if anyone has better ways of polishing please let me know.
    Thanks

84Supra is offline New User

Default Re: What is the best way sand aluminum and to be able to do it fast?

that's pretty much it. some places use an industrial sized tumbler that doesn't get great results in some situations.

your method is pretty much it. this is why polishings costs money and is noticed by others, it takes dedication.

mpierich is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Quote Originally Posted by quadracer2cool4u View Post
    I need some advice on how to sand aluminum really fast before polishing it because I do a lot of parts and need to do them quick . The way I知 doing it right now is I usually spray some VHT fast strip on it(On parts were VHT doesn稚 work like on calipers I sandblast them) then I go over with greaseless compoundicon on a spiral sewn with grits 240 and then 400. Once I知 done with that I polish with a sisal wheel that has black compoundicon on it, and then a denim with white compoundicon. The polisher I have now is a セ hp, 3600 rpm that is for 8 In wheels. So if anyone has better ways of polishing please let me know.
    Thanks
    If you do find a faster way, please let _us_ know!

With a vibrating "tumbler" you could do many mid-sized parts at a time, but certainly no faster otherwise.

Like the man said...that's why it costs what it costs.

Rasper is offline Metal Finishing Guru

I bought an air polisher from Chicago Pneumatics. It is absolutely my favorite polishing tool. It turns maximum about 3000 RPM. They make a sander that turns 15,000 and looks just like this but that's too much.
    I use it with 3 inch, and one inch, Velcro disks, usually with a little WD 40 or a little water. I made a one inch diameter cookie cutter from a band saw blade to cut the centers out of the 3 inch disks after I have worn them out. The centers rarely get worn at all. I have soft pads about 1/4 inch thick, made by 3M, that fit between the disk pad and the sandpaper if I want a softer sanding surface. I can sand up to 1200 grit with this thing.
    It saves an enormous amount of work. Of course it doesn't get down into small crevices and such.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best way sand aluminum and to be able to do it fast?-cp-7201p.jpg  
    Last edited by Rasper; 11-23-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: more info

I have one of those to that has 2000 rpm but I think the greasless works better. The only time I use the CP is for deep scaches, I do like the idea with the 1 in sanding pad though.
    Thanks

Did you buy the 1 inch backing pad (If so can you give me the link?) or did you make it?
    Thanks

Rasper is offline Metal Finishing Guru

I bought the pad at a paint store in Santa Rosa, CA, that specializes in automobile paint and supplies. It has a 5/16 female connection so I had to make a little adapter to fit the Chicago polisher. I am in Santa Rosa until Tuesday night; then it's back to Mexico. If you are interested I will find out how you can get one from them. I think I'll go buy another one myself. I was there last week and they had a bunch of them.

Richard

Do they have a website? if so I could just get one from there.
    Thanks for the help!!!!

baz
    baz is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Quote Originally Posted by quadracer2cool4u View Post
    Thanks
    i don t really unerstand why you use a soft buffing wheelicon with 400 grit greaseless and then go over with a sisal wheel wich is a very agressive buff ?
    to know where you can save time you first have to know where you are loosing it . there are many ways to save time but it s different for each part
    i think speed comes with experience and with the amount of cash invested in equipment and material

I use the greaseless for sanding. Do you think stoping at 240 grit is enough?
    Thanks!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information