Thread: Sheet metal prices

Black2 is offline New User

Default Sheet metal prices

Whats with the sheet metal prices? The couple of places i called want like 75-80 bucks for a 4x8 22 gauge sheet. Metal supermarkets wants like $90 but there always high. What are you guys paying for sheets? My small 2x3x3 oven is going to cost me about $320 just in sheet. Doesn't sound right to me.

ed_denu is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Default Re: Sheet metal prices

I got a recent quote for $32 for a 4X10 24 gauge galvanize. It was from a place called American Metal Supply. Look to see if you have any HVAC suppliers in your area. They often have good prices.

Long before the economy crashed I was only paying around $50-55 for 4X10 sheets. 75-80 sounds awfully high.

heman is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

im paying 4x8 rolls of 24 gauge stainless for $32. its cheap imported stuff. not american stainless. i also live in nyc so theres a huge market for hardware.

Zigeuner is offline New User

I didn't want to do any cutting of sheet metal when I built my oven. It is 2' x 3' x 6' and has 20 ga. sheet inside and out. I went to a custom sheet metal shop with my specifications for all sections that I needed and he did all of the cutting and kept all of the waste for $300. That was nearly 4 years ago, however, and sheel metal prices had just started to go up.

The prices you mention sound high to me. But I would still go to a shop. All of the metal fit perfectly and required only removing burrs on the edges. The only cutting I had to do was for two windows through the top and two lights through one side.

22 ga. seems a bit thin. When hot, sheetmetal wants to buckle due to expansion. If you have a choice, you might want to go to 20 ga. JMO.

Thread Information