Thread: removing chrome from pot metal without a blaster?

Default removing chrome from pot metal without a blaster?

Hello
    i have alot of pitted and rusty chrome pieces in want to paint. the pieces are for a drum set and i was told the pieces are to small to be bead blasted. there is no chrome shop in my area to speak with about trying to remove the chrome. is there any chemical process i can use to remove the chrome? the pieces are small 1" by 2.5" and i have 100 pieces to clean.
    i have heard alot of crazy ways of removing chrome with simple green and castrol super clean degreaser. i dont think this will work. i have also been told to sand the pieces use etching primer and paint them? i dont know about that either. i havent a clue how to prep the chrome for painting, so any help would be great if this can be done without beadblasting

lcaswell is offline Caswell Inc President

Default Re: removing chrome from pot metal without a blaster?

You don't need to strip the chrome in order to paint them. Just degrease and paint.

If you want, you can take some sandpaper to them before painting to give better adhesion.
    --
    Lance Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Hello
    thanks for the reply! i have been talking to some guys at a car forum and they have told me i could sand the pieces and paint them with an epoxy primer and then paint what ever color i wanted. and ive been told i could sand and then use etching primer to prime.

i am wanting to paint the pieces with the rustoleum hammered finish to cover up the bad pitting spots. but they tell me this wont last long since it rattle can spray paint. but i wonder if i a laquer clear coat the finish make it last longer?
    i havent tried painting the pieces with the epoxy or etching primer yet. i have tried to paint a piece with the hammer finish after i sanded it down and it will scratch off. but it wouldnt scratch off normel metal unless you used a sharp object.
    i dont know of any other paint that is like hammered that isnt in a rattle can.
    but if there is id love to know about it!
    has anyone on here ever painted over chrome? thanks

upncoming is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

powder coaticon them.
    D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

jrow is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

customdrumfinishes,

Use "JB Weld" or "Lab Metal" to fill the 'pits' in your parts. Sand smooth with some 320 grit wet / dry sandpaper. Use courser of finer wet / dry sandpaper if need be. Clean pieces throughly. Apply primmer, apply finish coat, and then apply clear over your pieces. I would suggest that you use paint from the same manufacturer.

John

Thread Information