Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to powder coating. Gun choice.

Elwarno is offline New User

Default New to powder coating. Gun choice.

I am new to powdercoating and based on my budget I am looking at the Caswell HV50 and the Red Line EZ50. I wanna hear from someone who has used both. The EZ50 is fairly new from what I understand and cannot find as many reviews on it. I will primarily be coating ATV and motorcycle parts as large as a frame. Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

ty1854 Guest

Default Re: New to powder coating. Gun choice.

I have owned all of the hobby style guns at some point in the past. Here is how I rank them based on MY experiences (going from worst to best in descending order).

Harbor Freight
    EW Hobby
    Redline EZ
    EW Pro
    Caswell 50KV
    Hyper Smooth Pony w/ hopper

The EW Pro and the Redline EZ guns both broke in few months of use and would not charge the powder at all. Actually I went through about 3 EW Pro guns. I would suggest either the pony gunicon or the Caswell 50KV gun if you are set on a hobby gun. If you want to make the jump to a pro gun then take a look at the Hyper Smooth 02 with the multi coat tip.

And a jump it is,lol. I've checked out hyper too and I like the look of the pony with hopper. The Hyper 02 looks awesome but can't bring myself to spend that kinda jack on something I am new to. For what I am doing which will mainly be ATV and bike parts will a gunicon such as the pony be sufficient?

ty1854 Guest

Yes it should do fine. I have done 3 cold coats with it and if you get the hopper it really helps with the powder flow.

Well TY, I took your advise. I opened up my wallet a little wider and ordered me a Hyper Smooth 02. The more I read it seemed like the difference was a few possible years of good use versus many years of good use. You get what you pay for in this world and I think the payoff from a HS 02 will be far greater. One other question, and you can answer if you like even though the answer is prolly addressed in another thread. Are all powders created equal? Or should I use Columbia's powder?

ty1854 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elwarno View Post
    Well TY, I took your advise. I opened up my wallet a little wider and ordered me a Hyper Smooth 02. The more I read it seemed like the difference was a few possible years of good use versus many years of good use. You get what you pay for in this world and I think the payoff from a HS 02 will be far greater. One other question, and you can answer if you like even though the answer is prolly addressed in another thread. Are all powders created equal? Or should I use Columbia's powder?
    Congratulations! You made the right move going with the Hyper Smooth 02 systemicon. Did you get the multi coat tip with it by chance? Most powders are CREATED equal it how they are stored, packaged, and shipped that makes the the difference. I have never had a issue with any of the following powder suppliers:

Columbia Coatings
    NIC Industries
    Tiger Drylac
    Caswell
    Eastwood
    Powder Buy The Pound

I personally use Columbia Coatings and NIC Industries for almost all of my powders.

Hey thanks! I bid on a new one on ebay and saved a few bucks. I have not gotten the multi-tip. I was going to see if it suits my needs without it and if I feel I need one I will get one. I can understand what you mean about how the powders are stored. Thanks for all your input, opn the gunicon and the powder. I can't wait to customize some quads!

ty1854 Guest

You don't need the multi coat tip it will operate just fine without it. When you do get some extra cash you should give it a try though it makes coating very easy. It also helps when you have filler on a part as it will apply the powder to ANY material you spray it on. If you have any questions when you get it I would be happy to walk you through the setup and operation or give Brian at Columbia a call he is very friendly and can answer any questions you might have!

Good point on the filler. I may want to get it for my motorcycle gastank which has been patched. Will body filler withstand the 400 degrees. One question though. WHAT makes that multi coat tip work the way it does? I have seen demos with it spraying on wood and glass so I am confused.

ty1854 Guest

You will need a high temperature metal filler like USC All Metal, High Temp. Lab Metal, EPO Strong, and even JB Weld in a bind. I am not sure what makes the multi coat tip work but it does great. I use it for every coat as it just lays the powder down smoother and gives me less orange peel. Just set the KV to 30-50 and go at it, I never adjust the KV on my gunicon when I use the multi coat tip. If you never go over three or four coats then you can get buy without it but for me it is worth its weight in gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information