Thread: Gas oven safe for PC?

BombThreat is offline New User

Default Gas oven safe for PC?

I use natural gas here and was wondering if its safe to used a normal gas cooking stove for curing powder coaticon?

Quarterhorse2 is offline New User

Default Re: Gas oven safe for PC?

Quote Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
    I use natural gas here and was wondering if its safe to used a normal gas cooking stove for curing powder coaticon?
    In my Caswell manual they say NOT to use a gas oven and to use an electric because the powder is flammable

SCOTTRODS is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterhorse2 View Post
    In my Caswell manual they say NOT to use a gas oven and to use an electric because the powder is flammable
    Powder will flame up if it touches the elements in a regular oven as well....

I don't see a problem with it for the most part, as the flame in an oven that runs gas is covered and will likely be as safe as or safer tham the electric one "if" the tapeicon falls from a masked part onto the oven floor (no elements to set it ablaze). I know A guy that happened to early in his coating world. he also had one drip from too much powder and it caught fire.... Neither of these would occur in a gas oven unless by some weird twist, the powder could come in direct contact with the flame under the floor....

The reason they advise against using a gas oven, is to avoid powder in *cloud form* from combusting... It is pretty well know that a cloud of dust in many products can be very volatile and can/will combust easily in the right circumstances.... Once the powder is on the part there should be no major risk of explosion.... as long as the cloud is not still lingering when you open the oven door to insert parts.

See photos of my work at the following link
    http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
    EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

BombThreat is offline New User

Thanks for the help guys,

Scott I did wind up calling caswell to get their thoughts and was advised to exactly what you mentioned. If the area is well ventilated I will be fine.

chappy is offline New User

gas is not a real "dry" heat like electric. don't think you will get a proper cure, i would go with electric.

SCOTTRODS is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    gas is not a real "dry" heat like electric. don't think you will get a proper cure, i would go with electric.
    Electric or gas is fine. Most commercial ovens are gas powered... most smaller to mid sized batch are electric..... Mid size being a relative term.... Ovens can range from quite small (toaster size) to quite large (big enough to cook a Cement Mixer bowl off a cement truck) According to which is most efficient for a business... sometimes electric is just not the answer, but for most small ovens (ranging no larger than say 5x5x8 are perfect for electric and the power is more available at the house. Once moving to a commercial address, there is often 3 phase electric available and that makes electric fairly economical up to a point as well....

A Gas oven is more likely to produce a bit of moisture, since the combustion process produces moisture, but lots of guys have gas fired ovens, and they get normal cures in them, without issues from the type of heat provided.

See photos of my work at the following link
    http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
    EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

Thread Information