Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for masking off areas

jbotti1 is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Default Idea for masking off areas

I have an idea for “masking” off areas on parts. I have a valve cover with raised lettering. I was thinking of cleaning the entire valve cover really well, then before coating, taking some automotive wax and applying it to the raised letters. I figure the powder won’t be able to stick to the wax. I would only use a small amount so I wouldn’t have to worry about the wax melting and making a mess. Does this sound like a good idea?

bzer1 is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

Default Re: Idea for masking off areas

I just wonder at what temp the wax would discolor and stain the part. Besides the powder would still stick to the wax and when it cures you'll still be left with the same problem, I've had some success using high temp silicon for masking. There are some peelible masking agents available but they're very expensive, and only available in bulk. I haven't found any that are available in small amounts for a decent price. Yet!

jbotti1 is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

You bring up some good points i didn't think of. I guess i'll just wipe off the powder with a sponge.
    thanks
    Joe

Livinincolor is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

There is really only one way I know of to properly mask off areas or raised lettering in your case. That is with hi temp tapeicon and an Exacto knife.
    Don't try to re-invent the wheel! Wax (or anything susceptible to hi temps) would melt in the cure process and blend with the coating and make a mess!
    Even as shakey as I am, I still produce a fine product those times I did covers with raised letters. You may be surprised how easy it really is, time consuming and tedious, but easy.
    Tapes are available in a whole bunch of widths and we have every width on a dispensor rack that helps a bunch!

Sho Me Coatings

Crimson is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

when I do valve covers I alwasy just clean the lettering off after it has cured with 3m disk on my angle grinder.

FSTFBDY is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Livinincolor is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Those valve covers are very nice and I have done pieces like that the same way. Coated the whole part and then removed the coating from areas that I wanted raw.
    However, I have found that to polish the letters or raised area that doesn't need coating, it is easier (for me at least) to process them (polish and tapeicon) first. The problem with removing coating materials after the piece has been coated, leaves **** in the piece from the removal process and is difficult to remove. MAybe it was just because it was a rough finish like above and not smooth.
    I once did a vavle cover and then polished the raised portion after curing. The polish process left a mess that was very difficult to clean off.
    Now, if I want the letters raw, I polish them first, make them look all pretty, tapeicon them off and then coat the piece.
    Trial and error is the best way to learn powder coatingicon! And always keep good records of time of day, weather, heat, powder manufacturer, etc. I have found it helps a lot!!!!

hvac36 is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Taping works the best, if your masking off a large area use tin-foil and tapeicon..
    Here is a link to one of my parts here on caswells site..
    http://forum.caswellplating.com/phot...k.php?file=483
    Pure tapeicon and a lot of cutting...
    Jim S..

cruizer is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

The problem I have with taping off areas is it ususaly leaves a not so nice edge. Ussally a rogh edge that looks like I taped, painted, and then pealed it off. I mean it's not a nice edge. Does anyone else have this problem?

hvac36 is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer
    The problem I have with taping off areas is it ususaly leaves a not so nice edge. Ussally a rogh edge that looks like I taped, painted, and then pealed it off. I mean it's not a nice edge. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Cruizer,
    Here is the secrete to taping. Mask your area, powder pre-bake just until the powder starts to melt then remove from oven let cool so you can remove the tapeicon. Place back in oven for full cure..
    This will remove all those rough edges..

Jim S...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information