Thread: Powder coating over E-coat

scline74 is offline New User

Default Powder coating over E-coat

I have heard mixed feelings on this topic. I had a new customer bring me a set of 2005 Nissan Titan wheels wanting them powder coated gloss black. He said he had taken them to one of my competitors and he said he could not powder coaticon over the electrocoat. He assumed they were e-coated from the factory and he needed to remove the coating first. He said this would take approx. a week of soaking in some solution. He priced him at $300 each wheel.

I have never heard of such. I know if in fact the were e-coated it will be a bit harder to get a good charge on the rim but I would think some preheating would solve this.
    Has anyone ever coated this type of wheel or over some type of e-coat.Any advise would be appreciated.
    Last edited by scline74; 05-05-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    http://www.nccustomcoating.com
    North carolina powder coating custom powder coating motorcyle powder coating hot rod powder coating candy chrome powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating

nuttyman is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Default Re: Powder coating over E-coat

hmmmm. i have coated over anodized AL, many times, with excellent results, however e-coating is not nearly the same thing. since e-coating involves the application of a lacquer &/or paint to the substrate, albeit far thinner than a conventionally applied lacquer, I would say that the powder would have a difficult time adhering & flowing properly, but apparently it can be done.
    I found this excerpt from an article on this topic. "A Wisconsin light-fixture maker, Ruud Lighting in Racine, Wis., finds that an acrylic powder topcoat over an epoxy e-coat base is an ideal finish for its products: Powder provides the UV protection the corrosion-fighting e-coat can't."

let us know how they come out.
    Last edited by nuttyman; 05-05-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    tyler@swpowder.com

jtagger19 is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

best way would be to strip and coat
    but I've done it and it works, they will come out looking great ,
    how ever it is not as though as a normal powder coaticon finish to bare metal
    it peels off with time

it will be easier to strip the e-coat now and not the e-coat +powder coat later
    but as i said they will come out good.

scline74 is offline New User

Thanks for all of everyones help seems like something I really dont want to touch .From what Ive hear e-coat is not easy to remove and from a set of rims!
    Thats probably why he received such a high estimate oh well just doesnt seem worth the possible problems especially when you think of chipping .
    http://www.nccustomcoating.com
    North carolina powder coating custom powder coating motorcyle powder coating hot rod powder coating candy chrome powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating powder coating

Thread Information