Thread: Air compressor connection help please

grommit is offline Amateur Metal Finisher

Question Air compressor connection help please

hello guys,
    hope i am not being dumb with this post.
    i bought a second hand compressor but i had to replace the hose and the connectors, bought on ebay,the hose has 1/4" connections so i bought a 10 pack set of 1/4" with male & female connections,the male one has no probs connecting to the compressor, but the female is the problem,i have 1/4" on my new air tools but once i connect to the female alot of air escapes from the female connection, which means in my limited experience is that there is a in correct fitting? or is it? what have i done wrong? its doing my head in.
    i appreciate if anyone can help.
    cheers,
    Grommit

precise is offline New User

Default Re: Air compressor connection help please

Is the fitting tight,, did you use telfontape,, If so,, with what have found The Cheap fitting do leaks,, Most of the time you pay for what you get,, I broke down and bought the better ones,, That is what has stopped the air leaks for me

Harleydad is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Did you use any type of sealer on the threads?
    Doh! don't quite type fast enough.

nuttyman is offline Metal Finishing Guru

the brass fittings do not perfectly metch the silver finished fittings also. r u using the same fittings? just switch 'em till u find some air tight ones!
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    tyler@swpowder.com

chromo is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

In reading the post I could think it to mean the same things in various ways.

Do you mean the 1/4 females are leaking at the tool? If so use teflon tapeicon on the threads. The threads should not be leaking. All 1/4" fittings should fit all tools using a 1/4" fitting. Hmm, should but then again Standard threads/metric threads, I never had a problem with such, but old tools and new fittings and you got to wonder about quality old USA tools and fittings and cheap China tools and fittings!

Do you mean the coupler and the fittings leak at the connection?
    First are you using the coupler with the fittings that came with it? If you bought a set then they should all work together fine as a set. If you trying to use other fittings that were already on your tools with a new coupler, they may not be compatible. Not all fittings work with all couplers.
    If you have a new coupler, just because it locks with your old fittings doesn't mean they fit each other correctly.

I have had allot of problems over the years with some couplers not working with some fittings. Long fittings, short fittings, difference in the lock area, etc. They don't all play nice together just cause they are same size.
    Just have to sort them out and group best you can when this happens. I use a coupler and fittings that work together to just join air hoses, my tool fittings don't fit or they leaked allot. I use the same couple at the end of the hoses and fittings for those on all the tools.
    I used to match up like fitting/coupler for clean airlines like painting lines/tools, and the other type fittings/couplers for mechanic type tools like impacts and air rachets.

I just fixed an old Impact I had with a 1/4" brass fitting, sure enough when I connected it to my airline it leaked and hissed air at the connection badly. It locked in the coupler fine but does not seal, if pushed in hard and held by hand it seals and I ran the tool to get it oiled and make sure it worked. Let loose though and the air comes right out. Funny, it's a brass fitting just like I use on my other tools, looks about the same to look at, doesn't work though! Looking closer at the fittings on the tools I saw that on type has a fatter bump where they lock and this one was thinner, so it does not lock in as tight as the other and leaks lots of air even though it does lock in place in that coupler.

hello guys,
    many thanks for the rapid response,i replaced all connections,and after some time today one of the female connections came apart losing ball bearings (this was brand new),i got hold of some tapeicon and what i found was one of my sanders would not work,so after tryin my other tools it was the sander at fault,after dropping the damn thing on the ground i thought one more try! and it worked, so all i imagine is it locked up some how and the knock free'd it.all these connection sizes lengths etc is a nightmare.the tapeicon has saved my insanity.
    cheers guys
    much appreciated
    grommit
    UK

chromo is offline Experienced Metal Finisher

Yep, you should tapeicon all fittings. I myself hate those pesty little leaks and hissing sounds and tapeicon anything threaded. The exception being when I need to change a coupler between tools often, like now I need 2 more connectors for tools so I have to swap them at times.
    Yes, the nightmare continues, not all fittings fit all couplers, that why I am 2 short now and not bought 6 more yet. Have to drive to store with one in hand and LOOK at them till I find mates for the ones I have now.

If your sander tried to lock up, are you oiling it? Don't use anything with silicon in it!!!
    I put a couple drops of oil in my tools with moving parts like sanders and impacts every so often to keep them lubed and prevent rust. I don't like inline oilers myself.
    They will lock up, rust inside, etc.. if not used for awhile and not oiled. If I don't plan to use one for awhile (weeks or months) I put in a few drops and run it a second before putting it away normally, but I do forget at times.

Most air tools are very simple inside with few parts, be careful not to tear the gaskets and you can open them up to clean them if they freeze up and just screw them back together. No need to buy any parts most the time, I have done some of mine and I've gotten nice stuff other people tossed out because it was locked up. Best was about $150 impact gunicon, free trash locked up, I cleaned it and used it for years till it was stolen.

Smile Re: Air compressor connection help please

hi chromo,
    learning about the tapeicon has saved me going mad in the garage,i have oiled the sander, it seems to just work when it wants to!
    got them BMW wheels to do tonight so i am looking forward to that.
    catchya soon,
    cheers to all,
    grommit
    UK

Thread Information