Thread: What base coats or primers can be used for candy gold?

krisnet55 is offline New User

Default What base coats or primers can be used for candy gold?

Today I tried to apply candy gold for the first and of course it came out a disaster, guess I got a little to excited with the results of Black Cat Urethane.

I would like to know a couple of stuff I have came to realize as Ive been going along with learning.

1 What primers and what base coat I can use to apply candy colors and what would be the difference, say for example chrome vs primer. Whats the difference in the outcome?

2 What are the effects for over baking or under baking? And how can I tell. I been looking at the watch and if it says 10 min at 392f its more like 15 to 18 min. But mostly I am more concerned with knowing when its over or under baked.

3 Second coats are applied when? When the parts is completely cooled off or is it ok to apply 2nd coat when its say around 120-150f.
    I read that for candy coats you have a better result if you preheat the piece, but if it has a base coat should I let it cool off and then reheat it at 120-150f for the second coat or when I take the piece out of the oven after the base coat wait till it gets around 150f and apply the candy?

Sorry for so many and confusing questions. I am very pleased with this site and just wanted to thank all you guys for the help and information you provide.

By the way the parts that I painted in black came out beautiful

baz
    baz is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Default Re: What base coats or primers can be used for candy gold?

Quote Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
    Today I tried to apply candy gold for the first and of course it came out a disaster, guess I got a little to excited with the results of Black Cat Urethane.

I would like to know a couple of stuff I have came to realize as Ive been going along with learning.

1 What primers and what base coat I can use to apply candy colors and what would be the difference, say for example chrome vs primer. Whats the difference in the outcome?

2 What are the effects for over baking or under baking? And how can I tell. I been looking at the watch and if it says 10 min at 392f its more like 15 to 18 min. But mostly I am more concerned with knowing when its over or under baked.

3 Second coats are applied when? When the parts is completely cooled off or is it ok to apply 2nd coat when its say around 120-150f.
    I read that for candy coats you have a better result if you preheat the piece, but if it has a base coat should I let it cool off and then reheat it at 120-150f for the second coat or when I take the piece out of the oven after the base coat wait till it gets around 150f and apply the candy?

Sorry for so many and confusing questions. I am very pleased with this site and just wanted to thank all you guys for the help and information you provide.

By the way the parts that I painted in black came out beautiful
    if you do a bit of reading in this forum you will find most info that you need.
    i ll try to answer the first one .
    base coats and primers are two different things
    a primer like is for potecting against rust and also some primers will help to make a better bond between substrate and top coat.
    candy colors are tinted clears so you need a base coat to reflect through that tinted clear. real chrome platingicon or polishing can serve as a base .
    chrome like and silver powders are also base coats for candys .
    if you want your candy to have a metalic look to it you can use a metalic silver as a base coat.
    if you are just starting with candys maybe you should try with a red or a purple . much easier to get good results .

baz

[QUOTE=baz;39978]if you do a bit of reading in this forum you will find most info that you need.
    i ll try to answer the first one .
    base coats and primers are two different things
    a primer is for potecting against rust and also some primers will help to make a better bond between substrate and top coat.
    candy colors are tinted clears so you need a base coat to reflect through that tinted clear. real chrome platingicon or polishing can serve as a base .
    chrome like and silver powders are also good base coats for candys .
    if you want your candy to have a metalic look to it you can use a metalic silver as a base coat.
    if you are just starting with candys maybe you should try with a red or a purple . much easier to get good results .
    i did not get good results with gold on shrome powders

FigureLLC is offline Metal Finishing Guru

i've had little luck with candy red over chrome powder. by little luck i mean i hate it. i'd like to try it over a large-flake metalic silver, though. that could be a hot look.

edit: or would it just be better to add silver flake to the actual candy? then, what would i shoot it over? black like an illusion powder? i imagine that would darken it a lot. i imagine the metalic base would be the best option. the regular candy would probably give it a deeper look.
    Last edited by FigureLLC; 01-11-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: addition
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

krisnet55 is offline New User

I am trying to get a anodized look and was wondering if extream chrome or super chrome would be better. I once asked how to do it and was answered that polished aluminum would be best to get the match I was looking for, but Im kinda confused as what exactly they meant by polished aluminum, do they mean to polish the piece or they sell a powder called polished aluminum? If the case is that I need to polish I rather stick with one of the chromes.

And Im sorry not for not searching but the truth is that ive done alot of it and was kinda tiered at the moment and really dont know what I was looking for and couldnt find the answers I was looking

Harleydad is offline Metal Finishing Guru

Overcure can result in color variation (burned) you'll really notice this on whites and such. Another result of overcure is loss of gloss.
    As far as undercure, you may get a white haze (which can be wiped off) as well as parts scratch easily. Here's a good trouble shooting guide for future reference.
    http://www.tiger-coatings.com/filead...guide2_usa.pdf

Yes, they meant polishing. If you don't want to polish the part first, either chrome powder would be o.k.
    Last edited by Harleydad; 01-11-2008 at 09:04 AM.

baz

Quote Originally Posted by FigureLLC View Post
    i've had little luck with candy red over chrome powder. by little luck i mean i hate it. i'd like to try it over a large-flake metalic silver, though. that could be a hot look.

edit: or would it just be better to add silver flake to the actual candy? then, what would i shoot it over? black like an illusion powder? i imagine that would darken it a lot. i imagine the metalic base would be the best option. the regular candy would probably give it a deeper look.
    i had good results with candy reds. one air tank i did with extreme chrome powder plus a couple of coats of red candy plus a coat of gold tint to give it a real deep look.
    as for the metalic look i use( NIC s alien silver) it is a very heavy metalic siver

Thread Information