• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ifocusfilms
    Amateur Metal Finisher
    • Jan 2011

Anodizing Safety ??

I've been reading thread after thread and have some questions I'm not seeing. I see a lot of people ask about the anodizing process, but nothing on the safety of handling these harsh chemicals. Maybe I've missed the thread, or sticky...

As far as safety precautions go, has anyone here had the battery acid from the store or even the diluted acid in the ano tank touch your skin, eyes, etc.. ?

I understand the store acid is diluted already (not pure), I'm curious how bad this stuff is to handle at that level and once at ano tank concentration level ?

What kind of safety gear should I buy (gloves, apron, shoes, eye wear) ? Can these items be bought at a local walmart, home depot, lowes, harbor freight ?

Is there a recommended height level to have the tanks at to avoid injury (waist, knee, or put the tanks on the floor) ?

How far should the ano line be setup away from other shop equipment ?
  • sswee
    Metal Finishing Guru
    • Nov 2004

Re: Anodizing Safety ??

As far as safety precautions go, has anyone here had the battery acid from the store or even the diluted acid in the ano tank touch your skin, eyes, etc.. ?
    Not to make light of safety precautions but mechanics have been dealing with battery acid since autos became popular. Wear safety glasses, you don't want to get it your eyes. If you do, as with most chemicals, flush with plenty of fresh water. Same with exposure to skin. Reaction to exposure will be dependent upon an individuals sensitivity. Normally it does not cause you flesh to fall off your body. I have been in contact with battery acid to many times to count. You may feel a slight itch and or burning sensation if not flushed with plenty of water.

I understand the store acid is diluted already (not pure), I'm curious how bad this stuff is to handle at that level and once at ano tank concentration level ?
    Battery acid is 33 to 35%. Anodizing LCD solution is 8.75%. Most strong house cleaners are close to that level and drain cleaners although at the other end of the spectrum being alkali are much stronger.

What kind of safety gear should I buy (gloves, apron, shoes, eye wear) ? Can these items be bought at a local walmart, home depot, lowes, harbor freight ?
    Yes

Is there a recommended height level to have the tanks at to avoid injury (waist, knee, or put the tanks on the floor) ?
    No. Setup should be done where it can be worked safely and comfortably. Use common sense. Don't leave hot pots and pans on the stove with the handles sticking out where small children can pull them down on top of themselves.

How far should the ano line be setup away from other shop equipment ?
    A couple of feet works unless you are really splashing around in the tanks.

Comment

• ifocusfilms
      Amateur Metal Finisher
      • Jan 2011

SSWEE thank you for taking the time to answer my questions !!

At 33 - 35 % this could do some damage not handle properly. We all have accidents and I like to be prepared. So any old dishwashing glove will work or should I be looking into acid resistant - Neoprene or nitrile gloves ?

If there's anything else you or anyone would like to add, please do ...

Comment

• cpowellpumphrey
        Amateur Metal Finisher
        • Aug 2010

I'm glad to see this being discussed. When I started out a few months ago I was really worried about spills and accidents myself but as I got more into it and did more I realized that it wasn't as dangerous as it seemed. I have gotten acid on my ungloved hands and fingers as I worked as well as the lye I use for etching. At first I almost freaked out but then realized it wasn't that big a deal. I did happen to have my spray bottle for rinsing handy and just sprayed it down with water and everything was fine. Yes, it is best to wear gloves and you can get them from Harbor Freight or you could use dishwashing gloves from WM, just be careful. It won't eat the flesh from your hands but do wash it off as quick as possible. It will eat a hole in your clothes though but then bleach will too.

Comment

• acidrain
          Metal Finishing Guru
          • Sep 2004

Yeah, as others have said, it's not a really big deal, but still... you have to be careful and take precautions.
          The two biggest things are: wear safety glasses/goggles at all times, and wear gloves (disposable Nitrile for general purpose, and neoprene full length gloves for actual submersion in any chemicals) when needed.
          Second to those two things are clothing protection. Most of my jeans have holes eaten in them. Not only will you ruin good clothes, chemicals spilled on clothing usually goes unnoticed, and will burn your skin... especially those "sensitive" areas.
          For spills, it's always a good idea to have a large bag of baking soda (Costco) for acid spills, and maybe some vinegar for alkali spills. Use a mop or sponge to pick up the spill rather than just wash it out into the yard.
          If you're buffing your parts, that is almost more nasty than any of the chemicals. I use a full respirator and an old hoodie jacket to keep the compound and fuzzies out of my eyes and clothes. A good dust mask and goggles should be used at the very least.

One other thing, as you get better and begin to experiment with acid/bleach washing the parts for effects, keep in mind that bleach+acid = death. Never rinse bleached parts into acid water and vice-versa.
          Last edited by acidrain; 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM.
          I do things.

Comment

• acidrain
            Metal Finishing Guru
            • Sep 2004

This thread may be stickie-worthy...
            I do things.

Comment

• ddrink
              Amateur Metal Finisher
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by acidrain View Post
              Second to those two things are clothing protection. Most of my jeans have holes eaten in them. Not only will you ruin good clothes, chemicals spilled on clothing usually goes unnoticed, and will burn your skin... especially those "sensitive" areas.
              My wife gets ****ed at me all the time about this, the jeans that is, she seems to have lost interested in the "sensitive" area sometime ago. I bought a vinyl apron from McMaster a couple of weeks ago to help with saving my jeans. Now I just need to remember to wear it.
              WWW.AMPCNC.COM

Comment

• ifocusfilms
                Amateur Metal Finisher
                • Jan 2011

Ok guys so a friend of a friend just lost sight in his eye cleaning a dish washer with something that is similar to drano. A very small drop splashed his eye and he's now blind in that eye. Doctors say it's possible he could gain his vision back, but they're not 100%. So safety safety, for a face shield I'm looking at one of these, what are you guys using for eye protection ?

Toolmonger ? Blog Archive ? Dealmonger: Uvex’s Bionic Face Shield For $9

Comment

• acidrain
                  Metal Finishing Guru
                  • Sep 2004

I'm using safety glasses, but after hearing that, I think it's back to the full face shield. It really should be full face shield over goggles.
                  Thanks for sharing!
                  I do things.

Comment

• ifocusfilms
                    Amateur Metal Finisher
                    • Jan 2011

Yea I'm ordering that face shield tomorrow and might even try those M3 fectoggle glasses out underneath. Got a very nice rubber/pvc apron from MCmaster Carr. It's just not worth the risk

AOSafety? Fectoggle? Safety Glasses - Lab Safety Supply

Here's a pic of what happened

Comment

• Countryboy1966
                      Amateur Metal Finisher
                      • Aug 2009

No clue how I got lucky, when I was 13 I was checking battery acid levels in a battery in an ATV. Splashed my face and into my left eye it went. Ran inside and immediately flushed my eye for an hour switching back and forth between milk and water. I then proceeded to go out and ride without talking to my parents because I was afraid of getting in trouble for being so dumb. Came in a few hours later and my eye looked worse than any runny nose I’ve ever seen. Crusted and snotty looking beyond belief. Dad found out and I was flushing my eye for another two or three hours.

Lever lost vision and I am 20-20 on vision. So friggen lucky is an understatement.

I pray your friend regains his vision.

Comment

• JwLeonhart
                        New User
                        • Nov 2011

i've had one ongoing question this entire time... What if you threw a piece that wasn't all aluminum in there. I accidently used a stainless steel wire to hang a piece and saw it get RED and i mean RED... almost as if it was going to catch fire and blow the tank up....

Not that i'm ever going to do that again, but what if by accident you put a piece in the tank that had half steel or brass/copper or even nickel?

A piece i've been practicing with has magnets on the bottom... I covered them with epoxy, but before I did that I attempted to see what would happen, and they made a cool swirl when voltage was applied.

I'd like to know if a mistake like this was made if the acid would explode in your face or something...... just something i've been wondering.

Comment

• InColorado
                          New User
                          • Feb 2014

I used to work in a place where we used acids and burns happened. There was a neutralizer we'd scrub and scrub with. I'm new to plating and I keep baking soda by the sink. One thing I learned about acids was that after and only after a thorough scrubbing/scouring taste the burn gently. If it is sour keep cleaning. With these chemicals I'm not so sure I'd do it since it seems like they are all over the PH scale and full of metals. Is there a better cleaning mix to use with all these chemicals?

I think I will buy the face shield. My looks aren't much but I like my eyes. I'm not so worried about clothes. I live in the country and keep a stock of retired clothes for weekend chores since so much stains or tears cloth.

Comment

• DIY640
                            New User
                            • Mar 2016

You shouldn't have any problems at all as long as you cover your hands and eyes when neccessary and be careful when working with battery acid. Also make sure you mask properly as this can also go a long way into keeping you safe.

Comment

• KevinB
                              Amateur Metal Finisher
                              • Jun 2015

Most commercial shops I go into would throw you out if you were not wearing tight fitting safely glasses with side protection. Some shops even require steel toe shoes. Personally, I think a full face shield is a bit over kill, but I would encourage anyone and everyone to take whatever safety precautions they feel are needed.

One thing that I haven't read yet (maybe I missed it) is ventilation. Anodizing tends to release acid mist and needs to be vented out. It's a long term slow killer, like an unruly mother-in-law (just kidding Linda, you know we love you)
                              Last edited by KevinB; 04-17-2016, 10:02 AM.
                              Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
                              Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
                              If a post helps you out LIKE the post
                              I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X