New power supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New power supply?

I have been anodizing for over a year now. I have been using a simple 12 volt 6 amp battery charger for my power supply per the "old" method. I have had very good luck with the old method and the battery charger. My colors are very dark and my anodized layer seems very durable. I do want the best for my customers of course and if the new LCD is the better way then that is what I need to do. What are my power supply options now? Due to budget costs what is the best bang for the buck? Could I use this...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LH2249&P=1

Take care,
    Tim

it doesn't appear that that ps has current control, unless i'm mistaken. I think you're looking for a power supply that has closed loop current control.

Comment

Neo,

No is does not have any controls on it. I didn't know if I could add a dimmer or something to it. I am able to do changes to it if I have to. I just don't know what I would need to do. I just can't see spending $200 or more for a recifier right now.

Later,
      Tim

Comment

Tim,
        It sounds like we're both looking for the same thing: an inexpensive current source. I'd like to have better control over my anodizing process.

I'm looking at building a VCCS similar to what is in the LCD manual. I haven't figured out all the details yet, but hopefully I'll have it worked out by the end of the week.

My limit is somewhere around $100 for a new PS. I don't do enough anodizing to justify much more than that. If I can build a current supply for less than $100, I'll definately let you know how.

Comment

Check out Ebay. Do a full text search for :
          lab power supply
          constant current
          regulated power supply
          dc power supply
          or any other combination you can come up with to narrow it down.

If the ad listing doesn't specify constant current as a feature, look closely at the photo. Usually you can see a switch labeled Constant Current, or CC, or if it has a dial to adjust the amps.

There have been a number of them for $20-$100. Make sure it is a DC power supply and that it will be of sufficient voltage and amps (watch out for the decimal point in the listings- some listings will say amps but mean milliamps). Look at the dial on the meter (if analog) to give you a better idea of the capacity. The output terminals are also usually labeled with the max current/max voltage. Also, do a search on the part number to get the specs.

I got a nice 15a/30v, Constant Current/Constant Voltage unit for $40 (remember..these things are heavy, so expect to pay $20-$30 shipping).

Comment

That 13.6 Volt power supply would not be a good choice, It does not have a variable output, and it won't operate in constant current (current source) mode. The dimmer won't work with this either.

The lamp dimmer idea will only work with an unregulated power supply, an ordinary battery charger is an unregulated power supply.

I'm glad your here Neilfj, I can use the help.

Comment

I'll do what I can, but you're the electronics guy, so I leave that to you. Whatever I design is guaranteed to explode.

Comment

Power supply

....how much current?

...use a 60-100amp Delco alternator
                ...12v out

control the output via the regulator input

couple the alternator to a 1725rpm electric motor
                ...hp rating depending on how much current *load) you need

...should be cheap and effiecent

c'ya
                digitalrain

Comment