Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Grey NLN Inconsistency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey NLN Inconsistency

I'm having some trouble with my Grey NLN dye. See photos below. The buffer tube was run at 6 ASF for 90 minutes (.75 mils, assuming it is 6XXX). I did the Geo last October, so I can't remember exactly how thick I ran it, but I'm pretty sure it was at least .75 mils (I'm thinking .8, actually), because I was trying to get it level with the gloss gold graphics. I have VERY good temp control (+- 1F), and my other two test swatches (different color) worked great, no dissolution, etc.

The colors are obviously much different. I thought that perhaps the alloys could be different, but I've seen this problem before. Below is a photo of a gun I did before the Geo, and I has the same issue. The dye was extremely fast striking, and I had a hard time getting a light color. It also had a strange reddish tint to it, unless I went REALLY dark.

I also noticed the buffer tube seems to look different under different light sources, while the Geo does not (see following posts). I really like the grey I got on my Geo, but I'm confused as to why it would be so different from use to use (dark, then light the next time, then dark again). Thoughts?

Here are both parts under fluorescent lights.

Comment

And both parts under incandescent. Notice the Geo does not change, but the buffer tube does.

Comment

Could you plate gold plate an LV1 for me, whole thing gloss?

Comment

Working...
        X