Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to aereate larger tanks EFFECTIVELY. HELP!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potsked;

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to agitate the parts rather than the solution, if you're careful.

Unless you have something to control the amount of movement, you run the risk of splashing the electrolyte and even creating an acid mist, which we are trying to eliminate. The other risk is that the constant and rapid movement required may also loosen your electrical connection.

Comment

well i understand the danger of splashing the elctrolyet, but that would be negated if the amount of vibration needed was low enough. do you know how much vibration would be necessary to remove the hydrogen bubbles?

I have considered the loosiening of the parts, but i was planning on upgrading to titanium alligator clips to secure the parts sooner or later and figured they would have enough of a grip. would you know if they provide adequate hold?

Comment

I don't have any way to measure the amount of agitation required. Each setup is going to be different, depending on the size and shape of the item being anodized, the amount of electrolyte, the size of the container, etc.

The general rule would be "as rapid as possible without splashing electrolyte", but even this is going to be trial & error to some extent.

My feeling is that the aligator clips are not going to be sufficient for the LCD process. The area of the anode under the clips is not going to be water tight, so it will develop a anodized coating, which will cause an increase in resistance, which means it will draw a higher voltage to deliver the proper current density. Depending on the capacity of your power supply, it may peak the voltage before the surface develops a sufficient coating for dyeing.

You may have to increase your current density so that the power supply doesn't reach its max voltage. It's kind of a balancing act in that by increasing the current density too high may reduce the dyeability of the work.

One of the critical aspects of Fibergeek's LCD process is that the connection to the work piece be watertight. Although the clips will work with the limitations and potential issues previously mentioned, it is highly recommended that the anode wire be securely attached to the work piece.

Comment

Working...
        X