Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html

These products replace the range of Muggyweld and Technoweld products we used to sell.
See more
See less

About to build my first setup, mind giving me a hand on a couple noob issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gardinhackle View Post
    Pancrecio, since you are running such a low current density the exact amount of acid to water ratio is not critical. If you are out by a few g/L it's not that big of a deal. The process will still work. If you have access to sulfuric acid in battery grade concentration then add 3 parts water. You will be in the range for what you want to do, especially for the tank size you intend to work with.
    Thanks mate. I will definitely be checking my mix with proper titration soon. I will create a simple non technical step-by-step tutorial and post to contribute back to the wonderful help I'm getting here!

Also, got me some lovely lovely platinum coated titanium strips to hand the parts. Pics soon

Comment

Hi everyone, again. I had to pause this project, but I'm back to it.
      Reading up ob the Caswell manual once over, I'm again plagued with some doubts.

So I've seen loads of videos on DIY / hobyy anodising, and I've never seen anyone do this de-ox step.

On page 8 where the whole process is topic'ed out real quick, item 3 says;

3. Anodizing De-Oxidizer Dip the part for 1-3 minutes into the pre-mixed solution at 100 deg F. See the section on Aluminum De-oxidizer

Well, there is no such dedicated section I believe.

But it got me wondering, this step is essencial correct? … if aluminium does "seal" or "cure" by itself in contact to open air, one must always de-oxidise the part before anodising?

Comment

Aluminum does not seal itself in open air. It will grow a very thin layer of oxide in open air, and that is what you are trying to remove by etching and deoxing.
        Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
        Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
        If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

Originally posted by KevinB View Post
          Aluminum does not seal itself in open air. It will grow a very thin layer of oxide in open air, and that is what you are trying to remove by etching and deoxing.
          Ok, got it. But since I'm going to be brushing heavily before anodising, and since I'm not looking for a mate finish right now, I can skip etch/deox, right?

Comment

Working...
          X