Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Sharing First Attempt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing First Attempt.

So I tried anodizing today for the first time. I watched a couple youtube videos yesterday and went around a few local stores and bought the most basic of supplies. (now ordering better supplies like Titanium Rods and Nickle Acetate as well as searching for Nitric Acid and a CCR.) First couple attempts didn't turn out well since I didn't have anything to etch the polished parts with. On the third attempt I used a random piece of aluminum from the scrap metal bin that had never been polished or sanded. This piece turned out really good!! (in the picture from a distance the pattern look is from where it was machined with a flat end mill)

Couple questions I do have are.. If I can't find Nitric Acid, I've heard that Red Devil Lye works pretty good. Anyone tried this? Mixture or other Recommendations?
    And how does anodizing steel work? I've read a few places that it can be done and the process sounds just like anodizing aluminum (but something in the back of my head says this can't be right).. does anyone know where I can find more information?

Click image for larger version

Name:	46009_10152257389360195_2012371725_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	131832Click image for larger version

Name:	545507_10152257389635195_1949718949_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	131833

Re: Sharing First Attempt.

Have you actually studied our manual on anodizing? I just get the feeling you're concocting something you've read elsewhere, and even though you've succeeded once, luck was probably on your side.

Anodizing Products - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc

and the manual LCD Anodizing Instructions - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

Anodizing involves growing a microscopic honeycomb film on the surface, and this does not work on steel. About the only metal it can work on it titanium, but the colors are limited.

If you use the LCD process, we'll be able to give you excellent support, as this is the only system that will provide consistent results, and has minimal problems because the process is scientific and current requirements are calculable.
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Originally posted by mcaswell View Post
      Have you actually studied our manual on anodizing? I just get the feeling you're concocting something you've read elsewhere, and even though you've succeeded once, luck was probably on your side.

Anodizing Products - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc

and the manual LCD Anodizing Instructions - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

Anodizing involves growing a microscopic honeycomb film on the surface, and this does not work on steel. About the only metal it can work on it titanium, but the colors are limited.

If you use the LCD process, we'll be able to give you excellent support, as this is the only system that will provide consistent results, and has minimal problems because the process is scientific and current requirements are calculable.

I'm currently attending a small vocational school for computerized machining and decided to try a bit of a science experiment to raise funds for SkillsUSA Nationals (I'm chapter VP). Personally I would love to buy a Constant Current Power Supply, all the chemicals, dyes and such from Caswell, but I'm just a college student scraping by so I've attempted the "Home Anodizing Setup"... Slowly I hope to come up with the money to purchase a proper setup. I know that I lack the Nickle Acetate, Nitric Acid, Dye, and Constant Current. (Which I read somewhere that the De-Smut/De-Ox from the page you linked is Nitric Acid. Is that correct?) I can probably scrape up enough to buy the acetate and the acid, but the constant current power supply is way out of my price range..

Comment

The LCD Anodizing Instructions is really helping. Thanks!

So a 3-amp Constant Current Rectifier (which for some reason I never found yesterday.. only the 25amp came up) should be enough for up to 100 square inches correct? I'm looking at Power Supplies / Rectifiers - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc and The 3-amp looks easy to control (I'm assuming this is LCD?) and should be more than enough for the duck calls we are designing to machine, anodize (hopefully), and engrave with the laser engraver our school just got this week. (Whats cool is that I can pull up the prototyping model in Solid Works and get and exact surface area!)

Hopefully I can budget this in.. might be a Ramen Thanksgiving lol..

Comment

Hey man you sound like a smart kid. I started out in the same boat 4 months ago. Keep studing you will figure it out. There are many ways to ano but if you study here these guys have a lot of useful info and it works! Constant power will give the ability that build a successful honey comb. And watch you temps they are more important then I though in the beginning. And now I'm learning about colors and alkinds of fun things like how different finishes give different results. Lots of testing for me. Good luck and if you need anything and I can help let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl_crabgrass View Post
            Hey man you sound like a smart kid. I started out in the same boat 4 months ago. Keep studing you will figure it out. There are many ways to ano but if you study here these guys have a lot of useful info and it works! Constant power will give the ability that build a successful honey comb. And watch you temps they are more important then I though in the beginning. And now I'm learning about colors and alkinds of fun things like how different finishes give different results. Lots of testing for me. Good luck and if you need anything and I can help let me know.
            I ordered the 3 Amp Constant Current Rectifier, blue and red dye, fume suppressant, color wheel, titanium wire, nickel acetate, SP degreaser, and desmut / deox

This should help out.. I really want like a 20amp CCR but at the moment its just out of my price range. Next thing will be the heaters to drop down in the buckets.
            Last edited by Searcy-Anodizing; 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

3 Amp Constant Current Rectifier, blue and red dye, fume suppressant, color wheel, titanium wire, nickel acetate, SP degreaser, and desmut / deox

This should help out.. I really want like a 20amp CCR but at the moment its just out of my price range. Next thing will be the heaters to drop down in the buckets.
              3d printing surat ahmedabad gujarat

Comment

Working...
              X