Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

First Anodizing bench setup, few Q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well here are some updates... The black parts above, I did 2800 of them. My first crack at all this was 2800 production parts LOL. The LCD system is amazingly consistent. Comparing my finish to the old ano company finish and to the naked eye, my batch is definitely a better finish. The big ano house finish wasn't as deep a black as I think they could have done.

Here are some pictures of some custom stuff I have already done for customers too.

This was my first multicolor piece. Jumping right in to an opposite splash color fade for some fast learning.

Here is the next one I did. Customer wanted her two favorite colors used and left me up to figure out how to make it look cool.

Comment

Here is my first acid wash attempt with a little bit of splash. Was trying to make a "galaxy like" effect with some star specs. Need to experiment more.

Comment

Originally posted by blacktusk View Post
              I was getting away with multiple pictures per post, but now it's not letting me get around the 2 picture max LOL.

Some weirdness after anodizing. Can't see this once dyed. After paying attention, I notice the lines only AFTER desmut. Not sure what it is, but it isn't affecting the parts and I guess its some weird machine finish side effect.
              I also figured out what these weird marks were. It is carbide impregnated into the aluminum. They will come up with a better way to cut that profile while maintaining the sinlge op. Can't see it when dyed black, but I played with other colors on a couple pieces and yuck. Glad to know it wasn't something I was doing wrong.

Comment

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but wanted to say great job on your setup BlackTusk! I have a few answers to some of your questions and a couple of questions for you.

1. Can you anodize faster?

Yes!

See the following patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US4225399

The key details are as follows:

1. Anodize temp: 30 deg C +- 2 deg
                2. Acid Concentration: 30% by weight
                3. Current Density: 3 A/dm2 which equates to approx. 28 ASF
                4. Anodic layer growth: 1 micrometer/min.

The patent describes 1 micrometer growth per minute, so to achieve .7 mil, would require approx. 18 minutes under these conditions. Granted, this process requires a much stronger concentration of acid than the LCD method, and requires more power per SF. An added benefit though is that you wouldn't have to chill your bath as much.

2. Bath is fizzy?

Mineturns fizzy after the first couple of runs too. Once anodizing starts, I can see maybe a couple inches down past the surface, below that is nothing but fizziness.

3. Add Ti rack surface area to calcs?

I add 1 amp to my final calcs to account for my Ti rack. This has worked well for me, your mileage may vary. When pickling my racks, I attach them to the PS by themselves, and then turn the amps all the way up. Once the unit hits max volts, it switches over to CV mode, and the amps will begin to slowly drop. When they don't appear to drop anymore, I take that final number that the amps settled at, and this is the number I add to my final calcs.

When anodizing on a new batch of acid, my voltage immediately climbs to about 17 - 17.5 volts, and then slowly decreases during anodizing, dropping to around 15.5-16 V by the end of the run.

4. OK to seal at 180 deg?

I seal between 180 and 190 degrees - never had an issue with this.

Couple questions for you BlackTusk:

1. I'm guessing you went with the Chem-Tainer PP tanks instead of their PE tanks for the higher operating temp of PP?
                2. Do you have a part number for the tops with handles? Can't seem to find that kind of top on their website.
                3. How do you cover your acid tank when not in use? Looks like the piping will interfere with the cover.
                4. Do you notice any bowing of the tanks once filled? Do they require bracing?
                5. How are you handling rinsing?
                6. Where did you get your Ti rack from, I like that setup!
                7. Does your electric subpanel just feed off your main panel?

Thanks for your time, and great job thus far!

Comment

Originally posted by g8erh8er View Post
                  I'm a little late to the party on this one, but wanted to say great job on your setup BlackTusk! I have a few answers to some of your questions and a couple of questions for you.

1. Can you anodize faster?

Yes!

See the following patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US4225399

The key details are as follows:

1. Anodize temp: 30 deg C +- 2 deg
                  2. Acid Concentration: 30% by weight
                  3. Current Density: 3 A/dm2 which equates to approx. 28 ASF
                  4. Anodic layer growth: 1 micrometer/min.

The patent describes 1 micrometer growth per minute, so to achieve .7 mil, would require approx. 18 minutes under these conditions. Granted, this process requires a much stronger concentration of acid than the LCD method, and requires more power per SF. An added benefit though is that you wouldn't have to chill your bath as much.

2. Bath is fizzy?

Mineturns fizzy after the first couple of runs too. Once anodizing starts, I can see maybe a couple inches down past the surface, below that is nothing but fizziness.

3. Add Ti rack surface area to calcs?

I add 1 amp to my final calcs to account for my Ti rack. This has worked well for me, your mileage may vary. When pickling my racks, I attach them to the PS by themselves, and then turn the amps all the way up. Once the unit hits max volts, it switches over to CV mode, and the amps will begin to slowly drop. When they don't appear to drop anymore, I take that final number that the amps settled at, and this is the number I add to my final calcs.

When anodizing on a new batch of acid, my voltage immediately climbs to about 17 - 17.5 volts, and then slowly decreases during anodizing, dropping to around 15.5-16 V by the end of the run.

4. OK to seal at 180 deg?

I seal between 180 and 190 degrees - never had an issue with this.

Couple questions for you BlackTusk:

1. I'm guessing you went with the Chem-Tainer PP tanks instead of their PE tanks for the higher operating temp of PP?
                  2. Do you have a part number for the tops with handles? Can't seem to find that kind of top on their website.
                  3. How do you cover your acid tank when not in use? Looks like the piping will interfere with the cover.
                  4. Do you notice any bowing of the tanks once filled? Do they require bracing?
                  5. How are you handling rinsing?
                  6. Where did you get your Ti rack from, I like that setup!
                  7. Does your electric subpanel just feed off your main panel?

Thanks for your time, and great job thus far!
                  Yes, the PP tanks. I will look for the part number. They came with the containers so I will have to see how they broke it down.

i cut some notches in the acid tank lid to fit around the pipes. No problems.

the sealing tank bows a bit at full temp. Probably should build a brace for that one BUT it isnt bowing THAT far. Time will be the enemy if I dont deal with it soon though.

I have a 5 spray bottles that I use to rinse over the tank yhey came out of. For the acid, i have a big tote on a uline trolley bench thing that is full of distilled/baking soda. Right from acid into that then final rinse before it goes into the dye.

a fellow on ebay out of Canada has them. He actually has had custom racks made for me too. Deeworks2002 is his ebay name.

My housw has 200amp service and I hardly have anyyhing that draws anything. Previous owners had a tesla so they had run a big line over to the sode i put my bench. I just put a subpanel there and have enough juice for everything there. Its funny on a full tilt 14 hour anodizing day it costs about 5 bucks in power for the day lol.

I've been learing a lot more just by trial and error. Have a line if watches that I will be anodizing for a company, done over 3000 skate parts already.

thibk its time to change the acid bath water now though. Starying to get cloudy and there is a grey sediment at tbe bottom of the tsnk when it sits.

Comment

Working...
                  X