Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Certain Titanium anodizes???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain Titanium anodizes???

I bought these titanium fasteners to help hold a part better. http://www.ti64.com/product-p/1366.htm

It doesn't specify what alloy of titanium they are but I didn't think much of it. Anyway, I successfully used them on the first run, but they 100% anodized. Both by look, they took on the same look anodized clear aluminum exhibits as well as lost conductivity everywhere except where they were threaded. What the hell? They even took on dye colors slightly.

The picture shows one that I hadn't used yet and two that were used. One part went in violet and the other part when in blue... The color will not come off with solvent etc. They no longer conduct either. 6 bolts at $90, I am pretty chapped.

Very interesting. I assume the bolt on the right is new? If they were Ti then they should have a deep blue hue from the current density and remain totally conductive. I'm at a loss as to what alloy it is but maybe KevinB can shed some light.

Comment

Correct, the right one hasn't been used yet. Doing some digging the site doesn't list the grade, but the tensile strength indicated that they are grade 5, not grade 2 like my racks. Grade 5 obviously doesn't play nice LOL.

Comment

More info, Grade 5 titanium has aluminum in it at 6% to be exact.

Comment

Looks like normal Titanium anodize to me. The alloy is probably 6Al-4V; 6% Aluminum and 4% Vanadium and becomes very resistive when anodized (I know you weren't anodizing the TI, but it what part of the electrolysis circuit so it anodized.) The coating is typically very thin, measured in millionths of inches rather than mils that we use for aluminum oxide and it's not very hard. It also develops fully within a minute or so.

The color is typically set from the peak voltage from your supply. A specific voltage will yield a specific color. However I've seen color fluctuations from a current limited supply.

We used to take it off mechanically with a brillo pad. Titanium racking is used in commercial shops because they don't etch so they last much longer that aluminum racking.
          Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
          Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
          If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

The color is from the dye tanks 100% they came out a beige color initially. My titanium racks a nice blue or purple but never lose their conductivity. These bolts though, I had to strip likr aluminum racking. Oh well.

Comment

If they changed color in the dye tank, something is very much amiss. Titanium oxide does not grow a pore structure like aluminum so there is no way for it to take up dye. The color on the Titanium is produce by light interference. This occurs when light reflects from the top of the coating and from the top of the base metal and rejoin. When they do rejoin, they are out of phase by an amount determined by the coating thickness. This phase difference causes some of the wavelengths in the light to cancel out while others remain intact. The color you see are the wavelengths that have not canceled.

It's hard to tell, but is the coating brownish? I wonder if you have created a Type II coating on the TI. This is a very,very hard coating used for anti-galling.
              Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
              Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
              If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

Working...
              X