Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

small scale chiller?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small scale chiller?

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on setting up a chilling system for a small(er) scale operation. anything would be muchly appreciated! thanks!

How many gallons in the ano tank?
    How many square feet will be processed in one load?
    What current density will you be running?
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
    If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

i have 5 gal pails. powered with 30amp rectifier. utilizing LCD might run 6-12 amp/sqft. i can run one off or small part production. i intended on using cooling when i push the limits of the set up - or extend anodize capacity later on, i want to be ready. however, like most everyone, funds are finite.

for instance, i would require some sort of acid resistant pump/heat exchanger and plumbing. i have read the forums, i know a little... reading some of your experiences would be preferable, and as always, photos would be much appreciated!

Comment

I have no experiences, nor photos. I'm not an anodizer. I just got lucky and fell into a place that I was able to learn a little about the art.

Super Cheap: 1 or 2 liter bottles with frozen water in them. As you see the temperature start to climb, toss a couple in the bath. You may need more than a couple. Not a whole lot of control here, but it's cheap and it can be effective.

Kinda Cheap: Dry ice. Use it just like the froze water bottle. Since dry ice is CO2, it will out gas as is melts and will not effect chemistry. Again, there is not a lot of control here, but it will be more effective than going Super Cheap.

Not So Cheap: Use a fish tank chiller. I've never seen this, but I have heard others using them. I don't think I would pump the acid directly through one, but you pump water from a 5 gallon bucket through coils in the tank then back into the bucket essentially making a closed cold loop.

Not cheap at All: Get a chiller and a heat exchanger and acid pump. I doubt you could find something like sized for a 5 gallon bucket, so this probably isn't really an option.

Depending on how crafty you are you could find an old AC unit and strip it down to use as a cold source then craft the acid loop so it dump heat from the bath in the cold loop some how. Lot of options here if you are into building stuff like this.

GL
        Last edited by KevinB; 10-07-2017, 11:05 AM.
        Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
        Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
        If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

pumping cold water seems practical, and scalable! thanks for the insight

Comment

Working...
          X