Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Heater for 5/6 Gal bucket?? or just use hot plate?? (standard anodize kit [caswell])

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Well I had my first epic fail tonight. I think I had too much current. After realizing I failed I double checked the math and I was way off haha. I was pumping 2.2A and should have only been at about 600ma. Also I will try to get a better connection from titanium wire to aluminum. It looked like it was working. Bubbles were coming off the entire piece of aluminum the whole 90 mins. But as soon as I took it out I knew something wasnt right. Only very very small specs took the blue dye. Other than the small blue specs I couldn’t even tell anything happened. If anything happened at all. Will too much current suppress the process?? I am going to try again tonight. And it’s a PiTA to upload pics on this forum. I tried over and over and had to type this over and over with no joy. Other than too much current (I’m stupid) if I’m seeing a reaction on the aluminum does that generally mean I have a good connection?

    Comment


    • #17
      Only small specs took due
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #18
        Close up after dye process. Gave up here.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #19
          My ano tank temp set up.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #20
            I can't help you with your amperages I don't run the LCD method nor do I use the 720 rule. As for better images, sign up for a Flickr account and then you can post images hosted from uploads you put in your account. Then we might be able to see the parts better to understand the situation. From what you have said it sounds like you've gone well past dissolution and have pit (burned) your parts.

            Comment


            • #21
              Well tonight was a success. Other than imperfections in the finishing process it worked beautifully. I ran .3A ( a little more than what I came out with on the 720 rule) but I saw no reaction on the lead plate until I got to about .28A. So I just bumped it up a bit from there and let it work. The power supply i have is a cheap one I got off ebay for $60. I'm thinking the ammeter on the cheap power supply is not accurate at the low end of its spectrum. My multimeter was barely reading any current draw with the supply set to .17 (which is the current I calculated). Once i set the power supply to about .25A the multimeter and the power supply were within a few mA of each other. I then used a dark blue dye and it came out great. I am super pleased with everything. Man does that sealant smell terrible though. It makes the whole place smell aweful (i can deal with that though). I just need to get a more permanent set-up because setting everything up and taking it down time after time is already getting old and its only been two times. I did notice that the dye seemed to be a little thicker around the corners of the piece I did (almost like little runs if you were painting); but it wasn't bad at all. So again I will try tomorrow with something a little bigger. That way my calculated current will be higher and thus get a more accurate output from my supply.

              Comment

              Working...
              X