high voltage scorching/arcing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high voltage scorching/arcing

When running into the higher 80+ voltage range I begin to get some scorching. Can hear it in the bath then shows up on work piece. Can this be due to over concentration in the bath solution? Happens on fresh bath with fresh clean titanium work piece. Right now running 1oz 66deg sulfuric to 50 oz DI water. Anode and cathode are both titanium. Using a .060 piece of titanium stock about 3" wide and 10 inch length for cathode and anode is 22g annealed titanium wire.

What type of anodizing are you doing? You mention "fresh clean titanium work piece" which makes me think you are coloring Titanium (type III), but then you say "running 1oz 66deg sulfuric to 50 oz DI water" and type III Titanium is normally done in a caustic bath.

Either way, at 80V, if you don't have tight connections everywhere, you will get arcing which is what you hear, and the scorching is the effect of the arcing.

Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
    If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

Originally posted by KevinB View Post
      What type of anodizing are you doing? You mention "fresh clean titanium work piece" which makes me think you are coloring Titanium (type III), but then you say "running 1oz 66deg sulfuric to 50 oz DI water" and type III Titanium is normally done in a caustic bath.

Either way, at 80V, if you don't have tight connections everywhere, you will get arcing which is what you hear, and the scorching is the effect of the arcing.
      Yes titanium is the work being anodized. Keeping the workpiece moving seems to prevent the issue. May be my cathode. All connections are good unless I should loop my hook on the workpiece?? Sulfuric works very well in place of tsp/borax. Had same issue with tsp but less using sulfuric. I will make a new set of leads and see if anything improves as well as going to stainless for my cathode.

Comment

Working...
      X