Proper Tank Materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Tank Materials

Had one of my 5 gallon buckets split in the middle. Luckily I have spill pans under all my buckets. The sealer bucket seems to have the biggest issue, since its gotta be at boiling point. I know I cant run the anodize acid in a stainless container, can I run the sealer in a stainless container? and the degreaser as well? Or would it have to be one of the old style ceramic lined cooking pots? Thanks in advance. having lots of fun coating stuff, not so fun when there is a leak.

You can run pretty much all of your tanks with stainless. Even the anodize bath as long as it's completely isolated from your power supply. I've never seen a stainless steel ano tank, but that's only because stainless is so much more expensive than polypropylene. I do see stainless in the ano bath at almost every shop I visit though. Typically the temperature probe is in a stainless steel well to protect it from the acid (https://www.omega.com/pptst/SERIES_385A_260A.html).

Really the only tanks you should even consider using stainless for are the hot tanks, because as you mention, plastic melts.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
    If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

good to know. Ive had an issue with my last batch of sealer, first few parts came out perfect, the rest have had a milky covering, and it wipes off with a wet towel, i think i may have some bad water possibly. just wasnt sure if it was an issue with the stainless. ive heard that the acid will eventually eat through the SS if I was to use it for the actual acid tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Olson View Post
        ive heard that the acid will eventually eat through the SS if I was to use it for the actual acid tank.
        It will if it has any stray current running through it. That's why isolation is critical.

Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
        Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for anodizers
        If a post helps you out spread the love and LIKE the post

Comment

Working...
        X