Really confused with 98% Sulfuric Acid ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really confused with 98% Sulfuric Acid ratio

Hello everyone,, I´v been searching the forum, and I´m a little confused because I read different opinions on what the ratio of 98% sulfuric acid the ano bath should be.
    I have found threads suggesting 1 parts acid, to 6, 10, 12, 16 parts DW, also 950 mil of acid to 4 gallons WD, and 6.43oz acid per gallon.

I think it may come down if you are measuring by weight or volume.

BTW I´m anodizing at 6 amps, and down here it is easier to find 98% than regular battery acid.

Big thanks!!!
    Luis

I don't use the LCD method but have read the SG is 1.075

Comment

Originally posted by elmaco View Post
      Hello everyone,, I´v been searching the forum, and I´m a little confused because I read different opinions on what the ratio of 98% sulfuric acid the ano bath should be.
      I have found threads suggesting 1 parts acid, to 6, 10, 12, 16 parts DW, also 950 mil of acid to 4 gallons WD, and 6.43oz acid per gallon.

I think it may come down if you are measuring by weight or volume.

BTW I´m anodizing at 6 amps, and down here it is easier to find 98% than regular battery acid.

Big thanks!!!
      Luis
      This was my response to a member who had a similar question a while back. Their tank was 18 gallons. All you need to do is adjust some of the numbers below for your tank size.

"Your mix is going to depend upon what ASF you plan to anodize at. If you're doing 6 amps/sq ft, I would suggest a 9% to 10% solution by weight. Most industry uses 15% to 18% by weight, but they're are usually anodizing at 12 - 15 ASF.

Lets choose a 10% mixture by weight.

A 10% solution of H2SO4 equals 100g/liter.

I started w/a guess of 17 gallons of water, the rest being comprised of H2SO4.

17 gallons = 64.352 liters

100g * 64.352 = 6435.2 grams of H2SO4 required

98% H2SO4 density = 1.84 g/cm3 (approximate)

6435.2/1.84 = 3497.39 cm3 = .92 gallons of H2SO4

That gives you a little less than your 18 gallon requirement (17 gall H2O + .92 gall H2SO4), but pretty darn close. Obviously you would have to alter your math if you want to go with a different % of H2SO4."

Comment

Thank you very much! That took a lot out of the guess work.

Comment

Working...
        X