Anodizing Variant Setup - Seeking Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anodizing Variant Setup - Seeking Advice

New member of the forums here. Been considering adding Caswell anodizing products to my plating lab, but hoped maybe some of you more experienced in anodizing could give me a bit of advice on whether my existing setup will work with the product line.

I am not currently a user of the Caswell product lines. The workbench you see in my photo is optimized for electroplating, mostly using Legor plating chemicals. Chemical baths are contained in 1-Liter Pyrex beakers, heat and agitation provided by lab-grade heated magnetic stir stands (with a ceramic-coated steel stir pellet submerged in the bath). The hood in the photo vents quite well, drawing vapors up and out of the facility.

I've read over the Caswell anodizing manual, and see no reason why the processes described wouldn't scale down to my 1-liter Pyrex flasks (as opposed to the large 5-gallon buckets with pumps and submerged heaters described in the Caswell manual). The components that I wish to anodize are quite small, so the 5-gallon plastic buckets and gallons of liquids that are standard practice according to the manual are simply overkill for my workflow. The equipment I'm currently using can provide the required levels of heat, agitation, and amperage described in the manual. With that said, while I have working knowledge and experience with standard electroplating, I have no practical experience with anodizing at all, so it's possible there are factors that I'm unaware of that would affect my equipment choices. So here I am, asking for advice from the pros.

If anybody has advice to offer, I'd very much appreciate it. Either way, thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Steelcrystal; 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM.

I can't seem to figure out how to get this forum to include the full size version of the photo I attached. If anyone has recommendations for that, I'd appreciate that too, as actually being able to see the equipment might be very useful to someone in answering my questions above.

Comment

The anodizing process is easily scaled, so running 1L vessels would work fine. We used to run 4" x 4" coupons to prove the process, then run that process with 100's of square feet. Much of the anodizing research done at the institutions of higher education are done on very small sample (1" x 1").

One thing to be cautious of is heat in the anodizing bath. That's where having plenty of liquid volume really helps since the larger bath can hold more heat. Even with that, you could easily drop the 1L vessel into a gallon bucket of cool water and control your heat that way.
      GL to you.
      Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
      Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
      If a post helps you out LIKE the post
      I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

Working...
      X