is pvc glue okay in ano tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is pvc glue okay in ano tank?

I usually anodize parts that fit in a five gallon bucket but today I need to anodize a piece of 1.5” square tubing that 16” long. I have some 4” pvc pipe and glued a cap on one end. Will the pvc cement hold up in the acid?

PVC cement is fine but what you are attempting might not work. I'd be interested in how you attempt to fixture the part along with cathodes and keep the temps in the correct range.

Comment

That is definitely going to be a challenging setup. Assuming the pipe is 4" inside(which I don't think it is, but assume it anyway), once you put a 1.5" piece in you are left with 2.5". Divide that by 2 and at best you will have only 1.25" spacing between the anode and cathode. That's too close. Cathodes that close to the part will end up throwing most of the electrons to the faces normal to the cathode and the other 2 faces will be shadowed to some extent leaving you with an uneven coating. Assuming you overcome that, you then have to deal with the heat that gardinhackle mentions. You would probably more than double you chance of success by using a 6" pipe, and it would most probably be fine with an 8" pipe.
      Last edited by KevinB; 12-21-2019, 02:35 PM.
      Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
      Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
      If a post helps you out LIKE the post
      I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

I went ahead and tried it, worked perfect! I used a 6” square sheet of aluminum for the cathode, cut to pieces of the pvc pipe about 1”wide then cut a slit vertically, formed the aluminum to the radius of the pipe then slid the two pieces of pvc inside to hold the aluminum against the wall. I used some old lead solder to connect the cathode to my power supply, filled it with acid/water and fired it up. I was anodizing a 1 1/2 X 16” channel. I used the same method to dye and seal only using 3” pvc. For the seal I wrapped an old blanket around the pipe to insulate it then boiled the sealer and poured it in the pipe. Everything worked out perfect!

Comment

I have some photos but can’t find how to load them here,

Comment

Went on computer, here’s a pic of my pipe tank and parts

Comment

Ran two of these, one at a time. 5 amps for 108 minutes. Used an air pump to agitate. Solution was at 56 F when I started and got up to 63 F when done. I was worried the sealer wouldn’t work since I had no way to heat it after I poured it into 3” pvc, after 15 minutes the sealer was at 180F but it sealed up nicely, no dye came off at all.

Comment

I hung the part with titanium wire, kept it as far away from cathode as possible, it was probably touching the pipe on the opposite side of cathode but it took dye everywhere. I had the cathode half way down pipe. I’ll be doing some more longer pieces after Christmas and will report back my results! One thing I did notice was the smell of acid, was much stronger than when I use the square five a gallon buckets. That may be from the air pump, its a variable pressure fish tank pump, I had it on high hoping to keep temps down.
                Last edited by AirSpeed; 12-23-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Well done! While it may not have an even, consistent coating thickness all around it was good enough to accept dye. Guess you never know till you try.

Comment

I may have just got lucky! These are for my son in law, they hold the saddle bags on his Harley. I’m going to either engrave them with my CNC or laser etch them. He wants the his club name on them. Have a few more parts about the same size to do, hopefully I get lucky again!

Comment

Working...
                    X