X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobos8403
    replied
    Mach Diamond,

Interesting setup. Could you share how its working for you and/or some pictures? I'm looking to generate a similar setup. Does the ti tubing from industrial electric heating supply come straight and you bent it to size for your tank?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gardinhackle
    replied
    Thanks for the info, while I don't plan on ever venturing into type III it would be nice to hear of your success.
    Ps, glad to see you went with Ti and not copper, you'd be really disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• Mach Diamond
    replied
    To follow up with anyone who might read this blog later:

Some other ideas that people have tried besides the two I mentioned above:
    - Placing your anodizing bucket in a large cooler filled with ice. This is only a temporary or emergency solution.
    - If you have a freezer in your shop, running coolant through a titanium coil in your anodizing bucket and a cheaper copper coil in your fridge/freezer.

If you do go with the aforementioned aquarium cooler, make sure it is at least 1/4 HP for a 5 gal bucket setup and make sure you can set the temp down to 37F.

In the end, we decided to go with the titanium coil and Industrial chiller. Since we already have an industrial chiller, entire setup is less than $150, including the titanium coil. Industrial Electric Heating Supply sells a 3/8 X 10 ft titanium coil for about the same as McMaster's 5 ft prices. I got two stainless steel fittings from McMaster. They have a Yor-lock fitting on one end, 3/8 hose barb on the other end for our 3/8 industrial chiller tubing:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/5182k423.
    Ten ft of 3/8 silicon tubing and stainless hose lamps complete the setup:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/5236k15
    https://www.mcmaster.com/5324k42

If I run into any issues with this setup, I'll report here later. In the meantime, please feel free to comment and add your expertise to this discussion.

Happy Anodizing!

Leave a comment:

• Mach Diamond
    replied
    Doesn't look like the advanced editing works. Is there a way to edit your post? This is probably easier to read.

I just joined today. With the COV19 virus, my work is trying to do more work in-house including a Type III anodizing setup for small parts (no dimension greater than 4 inches). I just bought the Type III anodizing kit and I was wondering what others have done to set up their cooling system. A few ideas.

Option 1: Use an aquarium chiller

Pros
    - Agitates and cools (be careful, some units don’t have pumps)
    - Lower cost
    Cons
    - Typically runs the fluid through a stainless-steel reservoir with a copper cooling coil. Some on the forum discourage having these metals immersed in your anodizing solution.
    - Not really designed for anodizing solution
    - Additional maintenance since flushing the system after use is recommended.
    - None of the main ones advertise their minimum temp setpoint so not sure if I can get it down to 37F.

Option 2: Use an industrial chiller with separate titanium coil immersed in anodizing tank

Pros
    - No anodizing solution running though the chiller
    - No issues with titanium coil in the anodizing tank
    - No flushing required since the cooling loop is closed.
    - Some shops already have an industrial cooler (ours included) for their laser cutter.
    Cons
    - Titanium coil is added expense
    - Probably not as efficient since you’re adding an extra heat-exchanger step in the cooling process.
    - Requires a separate pump for agitation.;

If you have used an aquarium/hydroponics chiller, please share the make and model. I am having a hard time finding one that allows the temperature to be set down to 37F. Also, what size did you use… 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, HP etc.

If you went with the cooling coil, what diameter / length / material tubing did you use for your coil. I’m looking at this 1/2” 5 ft length of titanium tube from McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/89835k631

If you have any other tips, advice, or thoughts, please share.

Leave a comment:

• Mach Diamond
    started a topic Anodizing 37F Cooling Pump Setup

Anodizing 37F Cooling Pump Setup

I just joined today. With the COV19 virus, by work is trying to do more work in-house including a Type III anodizing setup for small parts (no dimension greater than 4 inches). I just bought the Type III anodizing kit and I was wondering what others have done to set up their cooling system. A few ideas.

Option 1: Use an aquarium chiller
    Pros
    1. [*=1]Agitates and cools (be careful, some units don’t have pumps). [*=1]Lower cost.
    Cons
    1. [*=1]Typically runs the fluid through a stainless-steel reservoir with a copper cooling coil. Some on the forum discourage having these metals immersed in your anodizing solution. [*=1]Not really designed for anodizing solution. [*=1]Additional maintenance since flushing the system after use is recommended. [*=1]None of the common ones seem to advertise their minimum temp set-point so not sure if I can get it down to 37F.

Option 2: Use an industrial chiller with separate titanium coil immersed in anodizing tank
    Pros
    1. [*=1]No anodizing solution running though the chiller. [*=1]No issues with titanium coil in the anodizing tank. [*=1]No flushing required since the cooling loop is closed. [*=1]Some shops already have an industrial cooler (ours included) for their laser cutter.
    Cons
    1. [*=1]Titanium coil is added expense. [*=1]Probably not as efficient since you’re adding an extra heat-exchanger step in the cooling process. [*=1]Requires a separate pump for agitation.

If you have used an aquarium/hydroponics chiller, please share the make and model. I am having a hard time finding one that allows the temperature to be set down to 37F. Also, what size did you use… 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, HP etc?

If you went with the cooling coil, what diameter / length / material tubing did you use for your coil? I’m looking at this 1/2” 5 ft length of titanium tube from McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/89835k631

If you have any other tips, advice, or thoughts, please share.
Working...
X