Questions about my set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my set up

Hello everyone, new to annodizing. I doing some research and just can’t seem to find concrete answers. I’ll be using 15litre buckets for my set up, I’ve bought all the solutions needed from Caswell, gp plate, titanium wire, Ive purchased a 50v/20amp power supply that’s on its way, my question are:
    what’s would be a good heating source? I have been looking at 300 watt fish tank heaters is this enough power to get the temps up? I’m not necessarily worried how long it will take to get to the desired temps.

also for the acid bath rations, been reading 3 parts water 1 part battery acid, so in my 15 litre tank I figure I want to leave atleast 1 litre for room in the bucket. So working with 14 litres would that make my ratio 10.5 litres water and 3.5 litres battery acid?. I have a feeling I’ve overlooked something. I’ve also read people do it by weight..? At this point any and all information will help.

As for the heat, I can't say if 300W is enough or too much. It all depends on your setup. I can say that all of your hot baths should be well insulated on the sides and the top. Theoretically if your bath is perfectly insulated so no heat is lost, your bath would get as hot as the heater can get. Of course perfect insulation is not practical, but the closer you get to it, the better your process will be.

The correct way to figure out you acid content is through titration. In fact, it's the only way to know your concentration after the bath as been used. If you are serious about anodizing, you should learn how to titrate with a target of 180-190g/L of acid.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
    If a post helps you out LIKE the post
    I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

thanks for the feedback, I have another question if someone is able to answer it. the power supply I bought 50v/20amp didn't come with any alligator clip w/ wire. now can I go buy the first set I see or is there specific clips for how much current ill be putting through them

Comment

Originally posted by Dylanreide View Post
        now can I go buy the first set I see or is there specific clips for how much current ill be putting through them
        The largest clips you can get away with and use "weld wire" Doesn't matter what gauge but it carries the load better than single strand.

Comment

I always say, the bigger the better when it comes to busing and cabling. Electrically speaking, a wire is a simple resistor. The longer the wire, the more resistance it will have. The smaller gauge of the wire, the more resistance it will have. The more resistance you have in the setup, the more your power supply will need to work (higher voltages are needed for CC, or less current will flow for CV). Therefore, I recommend short thick wire for busing. This link has a chart for wire ampacity based on the wire gauge https://www.cerrowire.com/products/r...pacity-charts/
          Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
          Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
          If a post helps you out LIKE the post
          I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

Working...
          X