Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will close contact parts bond during the anodizing process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will close contact parts bond during the anodizing process?

Say I have a tightly wound aluminum coil. Will the windings of the coil bond with each other from anodizing? If so, how strong is that bond?

For context, this is a desirable condition for my project. If the windings don't bond I'll need to powder coat or epoxy dip. I'd want to maximize this bond if it exists.

It's is my opinion that the anodic crystals are too small to create a bond with each other to any degree worth considering, however, with that said, the outer layer of windings will be quite rigid and resist some bending once anodised. There will not be crystal growth on the non-exposed aluminium, so even the second layer will not grow crystals unless there is sufficient contact with the electrolyte.

Comment

Rigid may work for me. I'm trying to make a coil that, under normal use, won't flex like a spring coil. This is going to be worth experimenting with. Thank you for weighing in.

Comment

Originally posted by BCN View Post
        I'm trying to make a coil that, under normal use, won't flex like a spring coil.
        Then I think you will be disappointed, The anodic coating is brittle so any flexing will cause the coating to crack to a point that it becomes compromised.

Comment

Working...
        X