Titanium water heater elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium water heater elements

I just ordered the deluxe kit and am trying to figure out the details of my workflow while I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the process.

Do I need a titanium element for direct submersion heating in my degreasing/deox/dye/sealer tanks or would a stainless steel element be okay? I'm thinking something like this with a temperature controller.

I'm also planning on eventually buying 5-6 54qt. Igloo coolers for my tanks. I will soon need the ability to anodized 19"L x 6"W x ⅜"H parts so I will need the extra capacity.

Let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction on this. I'm sure I will have many more questions when the kit arrives.

Thanks in advance!

No need for Ti, but you do need the ability to adjust the tempurature. You'll find throughout the year you'll require more or less power to get the tanks to the correct temp. And if you design your tanks to be able to pull the heaters while not in use they will last years. Get these - https://www.industrialelectricheatin...plating-heater

As for your tanks, Igloo coolers are great but make sure not to use the ones with the spigot at the bottom, accidental release of any liquid can be catastrophic. You'll want to design them so you can pull them anyway to empty and clean them. Unless you plan to maintain the chemistry properly you'll be constantly chasing problems in the tank which will require you to either boil and filter or dump them all together so mobility is key. Proper tank chemistry such as pH adjustments, tank titration and biocides will minimise these issues.

Comment

I appreciate the information! I was thinking I would be able to make my own heater for quite a bit cheaper than the link you posted. I've made a similar heater for cooking large amounts of soup in an old army surplus steam jacket kettle.

I would love to know what processes some of you guys use to maintain tank pH, and titrate. I have found some information on titration on Google, but I'm no chemist so it all looks pretty complicated.

Thanks again!

Comment

Well that's great if you can rig up a temp controlled element, I see no reason why not.

Not many here actually monitor their chemistry aside from pH balance but if you plan to do this long term you'll eventually want to learn other tank maintenance tests. As your tanks age they change and need to be either replaced or adjusted. These adjustments can be the difference between failure and success. Of course when something goes wrong (and it usually does after a few years) you can always just guess and start replacing every tank until you correct the problem...

Comment

Working...
        X