Problems etching....mabye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems etching....mabye

So I’ve gotten quite big into anodizing lately and it’s been going good.... until now I seem to have stumped my self. So I’m anodizing some knife scales when one scale came out this weird tie die pattern. I moved on and didn't think much of it( it was the first ano on these scales so I figured they just needed an etch). After the etch the scales looked good but after trying to throw an ano on it I realized somethings wrong. I tried to make the piece a green colour and while most of the scale came out green it has some scratches/lines in a pink colour on the front of the scale.
    Now the scale seems etched uneven maybe? and it’s causing scratches/imperfections to showing up on the scale in different colours that weren’t there before..... I literally just got this knife. I don’t know what to do...sand/polish? or maybe its just crappy titanium. Any ideas would be great thanks for looking!!!
    (I took some photos of the scales you can kind of see what I’m talking about even without the ano on it. I etched again to see if anything would change and it seems to have gotten worse(as befor you couldn't see the imperfections without the ano).
    The scales are titanium and i used multi etch and left it in for like 10-20 seconds twice now. I've also been using simply green for degreasing and I'm dumb or it doesn't seem to be working too great anyone know a better degreaser.
    Thanks for looking!

These photos are prior to Anodizing ?
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Nope i etched again to remove the color. this is after

Comment

It honestly looks like it needs a good de greasing, possibly oil on it ?
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

anything you could recommend for de greasing. i just spent 10 mins trying to clean this piece and it looks the same. i used simplygreen, windex, and dishsoap.(with gloves on)
          Last edited by crazycanad; 11-05-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Try Soft scrub, Rinse with Distilled water.
            --
            Jason Vanderbroek
            315 946 1213 x116
            www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
            X