• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zdd9
    New User
    • Aug 2021

Sealant Tank

Does everyone use plastic for all their tanks? I'm building a little setup and am worried that most high temp HDPE materials get soft a bit above 180F. So I'm worried essentially having boiling water in a plastic tank might lead to some issues. I'm just looking for a few ideas on what other people use. I'm not planning on doing super large pieces so I was planning on using 5 gal buckets for most of the tanks and was thinking about getting a metal bucket with a lid for my sealant tank. Thanks for the help!
  • Caswellplating_Jason
    • Apr 2005

You can use Ceramic coated pans.
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

• Zdd9
      New User
      • Aug 2021

Ok. I've done some more searching and I can't figure out why it needs to be ceramic coated. Can you explain a little more? It seems to me that the anodize and the dye is done and this is just sealing. If I skip the sealant chemical and just use boiling water do I need the pan to be ceramic coated?

Comment

• KevinB
        Amateur Metal Finisher
        • Jun 2015

In commercial shops, we see either poly tanks (like you mention) or stainless for hot tanks (140F+). For personal work, you should be alright with 2-3 gallon stainless pot.
        Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
        Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
        If a post helps you out LIKE the post
        I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

• Zdd9
          New User
          • Aug 2021

Thanks Kevin. Appreciate it.

Comment

• ScatterBrain
            New User
            • Jul 2021

Another new guy here. I was also confused about metal versus plastic tanks for sealing. In my kit I received a stainless (apparently) tank. However in the Caswell manual page 118 it says not to use any metal container as it causes problems. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Comment

• Zdd9
              New User
              • Aug 2021

I can't tell you anything other than that the stainless tank for sealing worked for me. My first parts.... Did them last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_193808.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	145091

Comment

• KevinB
                Amateur Metal Finisher
                • Jun 2015

Blue anodize looks so awesome. Thanks for sharing.
                Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
                Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Process control systems for Anodizers
                If a post helps you out LIKE the post
                I'm not an Amateur Metal Finisher. I've just been around the industry for a dozen years or so helping and consulting when and where I can.

Comment

• Demoni
                  New User
                  • Dec 2021

Originally posted by ScatterBrain View Post
                  Another new guy here. I was also confused about metal versus plastic tanks for sealing. In my kit I received a stainless (apparently) tank. However in the Caswell manual page 118 it says not to use any metal container as it causes problems. Any clarification would be appreciated.
                  I was just reading through Caswell's LCD anodizing manual, on page 8 it specifies that both the dye and sealant tanks should be metal.

For a DIY setup I think stainless steel "hotel pans" would work well. They are cheap, come in various sizes with good fitting lids.

Comment

Working...
                  X