NEED HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP!!!

The first day i recieved my anodizing kit from caswell, I put it together and started anodizing. I got pretty good results the first time. I anodized about 15 things that turned out good. I then took a break from it for about 2 months. I went to anodize something and i couldn't get the color to absorbe. I tried many pieces too. First I thought it was my acid, so I replaced it. That didnt help at all. I was using an older battery charger so i went out and bought a brand new nice one. Still couldnt get it to anodize. I have my acid temp at about 70? and the dye at about 130?. If anyone would help me by pointing something out that i am doing wrong that would be VERY appreciated. This is getting SO frustrating.

Since you did have it working the problem is probably something small, and I would guess its either electrical or your surface prep..

I promised the regulars here that I would shut up about connections. So maybe we can get someone here who has had electrical problems recently and sorted them out give you a hand. As far as prep. is concerned we have many members who now know it cold.

You could stimulate some discussion by describing what your electrical setup looks like and how you are preping your work.

Comment

Im using a battery charger that is set at 12 volt 40amp. I have that connected to 2 lead plates and I have an aluminum tank bar with a bolt and wingnut through it to tighten down the aluminum wire. I have the aluminum wire wrapped around the part. I have tried wrapping it around many times to make sure i get a good connection.

Before i begin to anodize the part I wash it in an automotive degreaser with hot water then I wash it with dish soap.

Comment

I would guess it is your electrode attachment method failing. Is there another way you can attach the wire? Can you twist the wire tight with pliers? Pictures always help, too.

Comment

Im gonna try a few things and then if it doesnt work ill take pics

Comment

I tried again and it failed. I even drilled a whole into the part i want anodized and forced the aluminum wire into the whole for a very tight fit.

My die was in my garage and it froze. Could that make the die not soak in?

One more thing. When I turn the battery charger on, it jumps to like 7 amps for just a second then it drops down to like 1.

Comment

electrical problem

Sounds like the electrical connection is burning off to me. Did you try using the lamp dimmer and starting slower. Is this something larger than you've tried before?

Russ
              www.professorwiz.com

Comment

idk how but i got it to work. YAY!!!! but i got one problem. After i die it and then seal it and then put some WD-40 on it, it looks so nice and shiny then after it evaporates it becomes a very dull pale color. How do I get it to become shiny.

Comment

the maximum luster you can obtain on your part is limited by the surface finish before you anodize the part. After anodizing, oil can help clean some of the dye off of the surface, which will help it look as shiny as it can, but that's about it. Next time try buffing or tumbling the parts to get the maximum luster from your anodized parts.

Comment

Like Nemoses said, the finished item will only be shiny if it was shiny before anodizing. But there are other things that can go wrong and cause a dull, smutty surface, this is different though from a part that was a dull or satin finish before anodizing. Anodizing too long, contaminants in the anodizing tank, and etc. Some series of aluminum like 2011 and 2024 can be tougher to do right, and may come out dull and or smutty if not prepped right. Also, the 20xx series alloy seems to anodize quicker and a reduced time seems to work best for me. These are just a few things to consider, there are other thing that will cause a dull finished surface. You should try to document all parameters, experiment some, and after a while you will start to see trends that should help out.

As far as the pale color, it may be the anodizing is too thin, or it could be over anodized. It could also be from dyeing too cold or for too short of duration. Sometimes if everything isn't right you can lose some color when sealing.

Comment

Working...
                    X