Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

The importance of good connections

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, NeoMoses and Elton10.

Elton10,
    I got the right idea from your post, I wanted to make sure that everyone else did too.

Comment

Bryan

Ahhhh OK..I just wasnt sure, and when I read my original post over I could see how easy it was to think I meant to merely hang the work in the bend

Comment

I have to agree with Fibergeek that beginners would be doing themselves a favor to stick with his connection recommended methods until basic success is achieved, then move on to alternatives if desired. If as many variables as possible are controlled, it leaves less room for failure.

Essentially there are only a few basic steps to good anodizing:

parts that are properly cleaned
        applying the proper current for the right amount of time
        proper electrolyte solution
        dying (if so desired)

Like most everything else, it's the details rather than the basic steps that spell success or failure. Of all the steps, I have found the electrical part to be the most important one. I used harder aluminum wire (6061) also for a while to make bent spring clip type connections on parts that had no appropriate holes. It works if done carefully like Elton can attest, but is has more potential for failure. Except for alloys such as tempered 7075 aluminum, there isn’t a high degree “springiness” (compared to spring grade Titanium) so it is easy for a connection that starts out adequate to be degraded by handling.

Comment

MD is correct in that last item.. The wire tends to get brittle as the process progresses. I like to use the "spring"in as deep a hole as possible to assure maximum contact area. Fortunately the parts I'm anodizing have nice deep holes with the exception of one..Not surprisingly thats the one I have the most (but still very few) problems with.

Comment

Re: The importance of good connections

yeah, also, i got skimpy ano results by using titanium sheet cut into hooks put through round holes. as soon as the anodizing layer started forming, it would cut off the current flow, presumably with the reduced conductive surface area as the process takes hold. if your parts are sparking and flaring in the bath, that's the problem.

Comment

I use a 4 finger titanium rack as i do small parts. Titanium makes the best connection as it won't anodize or decay due to the acid. The load from such a large rack is very low.
              http://www.torontocycles.com

Comment

thanks for all the good suggestions
                engagement rings settings

Comment

Working...
                X