Masking products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking products?

I have used a rubber instant dry masking product, liquid mask and rubber cement, they do not work very well for splash dyeing. Just wondering if I could get some idea's on a better masking product.

Thanks all,
    Shane

I've had good luck with Caswell's masking product (stripping, anodizing, and dyeing) and Elmer's Rubber Cement (only tested with dyeing). I've also heard that RTV works well.

Hope it helps.

Comment

i have also had good results with rubber cement, but only if you let the parts drip dry totaly. the water from rinsing some time leaves a acid wash look in some places.

also clear nail polish works good for striping. if you use it for anodizing you need make sure the body is fully dry this will leave a bad acid wash if not. also another note to this if your doing a silver splash don't not use any nail polish that is colored. it will dye the silver.

Comment

Re: Masking products?

Originally posted by lastone75
        i have also had good results with rubber cement, but only if you let the parts drip dry totaly. the water from rinsing some time leaves a acid wash look in some places.

also clear nail polish works good for striping. if you use it for anodizing you need make sure the body is fully dry this will leave a bad acid wash if not. also another note to this if your doing a silver splash don't not use any nail polish that is colored. it will dye the silver.
        I'd imagine you use a pain thinner, acetone, etc to rid of the nail polish... does that not have any reaction with the surrounding dye?

Comment

Re: Masking products?

Amazingly, solvents have no affect on dyed ano.
          I do things.

Comment

Working...
          X