Dye mixing and fluorescent colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dye mixing and fluorescent colors

Does anyone know where to get fluorescent dyes other than yellow and pink that Caswell sells? I need to make a fluorescent green and orange, but have had no success even when trying to mix with the fluorescent yellow to help it out

I also noticed that a 50% red and 50% yellow mix doesn't make a good orange, the red dominates it. Is there a good mixing chart out there for dyes? I already have the Caswell wheel, and it doesn't really help.

Thanks!
    Scott

How about using food dyes? Will they work as well as anodizin dyes?

Help me out here!

Scott

Comment

I haven't tried any flourescent dyes and so I can't help there.

I have tried food color in the past, with mixed results. It seems to take a high concentration of dye to water, and it was hard to obtain it in enough quantity economically. The food color seemed to be more subdued in color for the most part, except the yellow was actually quite impressive in the color depth. I don't know how color fast food coloring would be though, compared to commercial anodizing dye.

Comment

You would think someone out there offers anodizing dyes in other colors than Caswell....

I buy most of my stuff here (thousands and thousands worth) but if he doesn't have what I need, where do I go?

Anyone out there have any other suppliers??

Comment

Let us know the colors that you need and we'll try to get them for you.
          --
          Mike Caswell
          Caswell Inc
          http://www.caswellplating.com
          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

I know Aluminum is a whitish color, but is there an actual white dye to make it closer to white?

Comment

It's my understanding that white is the one color nobody has been able to obtain in a anodized and dyed finish.

Comment

Caswell,

I need fluorescent orange and green, and any other fluorescent colors you can get. I anodize RC Helicopters and the main colors are the ones listed above. If you would like to see some of my work, let me know.

Comment

Because of the way dyes produce color, there is no such thing as white (the summation of all colors) and black (total absence of any color).

A good "black" is obtained by a mixture of 3-5 other colors, carefully ratioed to cancel each other out. This is why proper mixing is critical for "black" dye, more so than other colors. This is also why "black" dye is more expensive than other colors.

To my knowledge, no one has produced "white" dye.

Comment

I understand. Just thought I would give it a shot since I am a Newbee!

Comment

Hey Sgunn911,

I am interesting to see your anodizing work on your copter parts.
                      Are you using anodizing color to light up your heli parts in dark?

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

You can anodize parts to look white. But it's still not white....

To do this, you can use a very fine grit silica blasting media (80-100). The blasted surface will cut down on the light reflected from the surface. That is the closest thing you will ever see to white.

hope that helps

Comment

Rit fabric dyes may have a color that suits you, but they are not UV stable, and may fade in the sun.
                          I do things.

Comment

I've very interested in finding some UV reactive dyes - anyone seen anything like that?

Comment

Can fluorescent dye make the part visible in dark? Or what is the purpose of the fluorescent dye?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X