Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Results of acid solution being too hot or something else???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres the pic.....creates a tear in my everytime I see it

www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

It appears to be oxidation to me.

Comment

Is it the aluminum.....or is it something I did

Comment

I would say a couple of things are happening with this part. I would bet money the alloy used on that part is real junky. You strip it and I bet the pits get started. Once it hits the ano tank it just goes downhill. Looking at the picture I don't think you can save this body. If you strip it down again it will make the pits even bigger. Is this the only part doing it?

LAter,
          Tim

Comment

there is a few parts doing it but not this badthe eye cover is barely pitted...came from the same place though so

Comment

What anodizing instructions are you using? I'm concerned that you say the bath keeps getting hot.
              --
              Mike Caswell
              Caswell Inc
              http://www.caswellplating.com
              Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

I also wonder if the acid mix is real high. I have done a test or two running at temps around 82degrees and never had "pits" like that. On his piece only certain areas are getting attacked.

Tim

Comment

I dont know what the acid bath temperature was probably about 85...it was 110 the day and time I was doing it so...

My acid bath is 2 gallons of water to about 1 gallon of battery acid

as you can see the gripframe and other parts were unharmed so I think it has to be the aluminum

Comment

If your acid bath is 2 gal water to one gallon of acid, that's a 2:1 ratio. You have too much acid in there, 3:1 is 3 gal water to 1 gal acid. The piece that pitted is cast aluminum which will react differently than billet. Cast has varying degrees of silicon in it, some will pit more than others. If your doing cast aluminum, you will get better results if you desmut prior to ano., but like Tim said, that part may be trashed now, but it couldn't hurt to redo it and see what happens.

Comment

the piece is made of cast aluminum then milled?......this gun was annodized once before at the factory

also....I though battery acid was dilluted which would make a different ratio then 2:1 ratio

Comment

Caswell's 3:1 ratio is the ratio with diluted battery acid from NAPA. Your high on acid dude.

Comment

chances are the gun isnt made from cast aluminum though....maybe low quality billet but its defianetly not cast

Im wondering what the tollerence is on this gun

Comment

Wow ...I totally missed the 2:1 acid mix!!!! Get one of those battery tester bulbs...I can't think of the name right now. Your mix needs to be 1.100 or lower. Mixing at a high ratio will make it really run hard causing the temps to sky rocket up and the part fizzed like crazy didn't it? Again the alloy used just got eatten up with the mix of high acid ratio and high temps.

Tim

Comment

I made it 3:1 today....

Comment

part didnt fizzle very much at all...cathode does though

Comment

Working...
                                X