Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this dyeing method will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think this dyeing method will work?

You leave the aluminum clear or in a light color like yellow or any other color in moderation and then make some thicker dye so it will stick and bead instead of sheet off, then you spritz it on with a spray bottole from about 2 or 2.5 feet away so it you get little beads of color with a lighter color backround, thing it will work? I would just try it but I dont want to waste the dye if it dosnt work. I want to try to maybe make a rotton banana ano (yellow with black spots) or shark attack (light blue with red spots). Have anyother seggestions for a cool 2 color dying process? I no some of these secrets for how to get a certain finish are gaurded with ppls lives but I am hoping here on a amatur anodizing website that I might get some cool ideas.

Re: Do you think this dyeing method will work?

I can't imagine that trying this out as an experiment is going to use more than 10 cents worth of dye??

Hardly a 'waste' if it answers your question.
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

There are many methods to produce multi-color patterns. Experimenting is a good way to find something that will work for you; the approach you need to take depends on the effect you are looking for.

By starting with two colors of dye, you can end up with a finish that has from 3-5 colors, depending on how it is applied and whether you wash it with acid or bleach during the process to fade spots of the solid color. Different colors react differently, some will just get lighter if washed, and some will change to one of the primary colors that make up the dye. For instance, black may look bluish when washed with acid or bleach. The strength of the acid or bleach (mixed with water), and how long it is left before rinsing, will determine how much you will change the base color. Of course you do not need to wash color off, if that is not the effect you are looking for, you could just over dye the base color(s).

For a banana look, you might try dying yellow and the use a weak solution of bleach water, and apply it in streaks with a paper towel to get lighter yellow areas and then rinse and dry the part (compressed clean air works good). To get black spots and streaks, use full strength concentrate, and splatter it with a sprayer or other method. If you have compressed air, you could put a few drops on a surface and blow the dye onto the part. If the part is fully dry and the dye is very strong, you will get sharp edges. If you left a few drops of water on the part, those areas will fade somewhat.

Rinse the part between steps, and dry or leave a few drops of rinse water according to whether you want sharp edges or some faded edges where the dye and rinse water overlap.

If you want more than round spots, you can apply enough over dye so it runs one way or another. You could also apply the over dye with cloth, paper towel, sponge, rubber stamp, etc.

These are just some basic tips, you will need to experiment and modify the approach to suit you. There are others here who have posted other methods too, and so you might find information in older posts that would help.

This product was done with two colors, brown and black, using the basic method I outlined.

Comment

One more picture.

Comment

Working...
        X