Winter to hit soon......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter to hit soon......

OK this will be the first year My dye's and acid tank will face freezing temperatures.....Since our garage isnt connected to the house Im looking for a practical way to keep the dye from getting messed up and im looking for any tips that might help preserve the dye

Putting a fishtank heater in each one?

If I was to do a part would it be ok to annodize when its around 30*F outside but heated with a heater....would it effect the turnout?

Thanks
    www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Re: Winter to hit soon......

The building I have my setup in is a tin building standing by itself. No insulation in it yet. Last winter I anodized alot with it 35 to 45 degrees in the building. It took a good size aquarium heater to warm my anodize tank to 60 degrees. I haven't had any problems as long as the tanks were heated to working temp. A good size incandescent light should keep it from freezing as long as the building is closed up pretty good.

Comment

The aquarium heater I have that came with the LCD kit seems to be holding up so far and its been getting down to 40 during the nights.

Comment

I put my entire tank in a plywood box with a lid, and 1-1/2 in. rigid foam lining it leaving about 2 ft. of empty space at one end. Then I placed a small space heater in thye box and close the lid... played with the thermostat until I got it to hold the temp I wanted.
        That worked well, but I have moved up to a home-made heat exchanger made from 30 ft. of 1/2 in. PVC tubing, and a whole bunch of elbows to make a square shaped coil of tubing that the acid circulates through. The heat exchanger box is a welded aluminum box shaped to fit in that same 2 ft. space, with a 3500 watt hot-water tank heater and thermostat set to about 100F. Then my circulating pump is wired with a thermostat to come on when it gets cold.
        I built the entire heat exchanger for about $100, but honestly, the small space heater worked just as well.
        I do things.

Comment

I have a small 3 gallon setup in all the dyes and the ano tank so a basic fishtank heater should work?

also....if the dye freezes is it good anymore?

Comment

Have to check with Caswell on the dye. I'd just put some old blankets around them and a lamp in the vicinity. It would have to be very cold for a long while to freeze it.
            SS

Comment

Well it will be in cold weather for about 3-5 months and some days below 0*F

Comment

That's why I don't live near you. Something else I thought about, at one time I used a small 110V space heater just to keep the bite out of the cold. It wasn't big enough to warm the room but big enough to keep the freeze out.
                SS

Comment

Working...
                X