hazards of fumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hazards of fumes?

Heres something that doesnt get discussed here much.....the HAZARDS of anodizing.

Im just curious if anybody knows how hazardous the fumes of the chemicals are if not vented properly.....such as the stripper, sealant and ano bath itself. What kind of effects can the fumes have?

It would be a good thing to discuss and learn about since the above chemicals I listed put off pretty strong odors. I know the LCD method helps out with the electrolyte issue, but still.....alot of people on this board will dabble with higher ASF at some point.

Does anybody actually know?

Re: hazards of fumes?

The hazards are clearly spelled out in the MSDS documentation for each product.

However, you should not even be considering using ANY chemicals in an area that is not adequately vented.
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

It really doesn't take much ventilation... a cheap range hood and some flex duct is more than enough.
      Actually, with my cheap ventilation system, I never have to worry about fumes anymore, so my biggest health risk is skin or eye contact.
      Chemicals splashed in the eyes, or on the skin is much more serious than the fumes (in my opinion). The skin is easily rinsed off without adverse effects, but your eyes would really suffer (being blinded would suck hard).
      I wear safety glasses as soon as I walk into my shop, and when handling parts, racks, etc. around the tank, I wear a face shield as well. Elbow length rubber gloves are used any time I'm handling parts or equipment around any of the chemicals.
      Think safety. Use the right ventilation and personal protection. Be mindful of the chemicals and how to use and dispose them or don't ano.
      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by mcaswell
        The hazards are clearly spelled out in the MSDS documentation for each product.
        Good point. Is there a place on your site that visitors can obtain the MSDS information for your products?

I could be mistaken, but I dont remember getting MSDS sheets with any orders ive placed.

Comment

Just ask for specific MSDS. They will be emailed to you.
          --
          Mike Caswell
          Caswell Inc
          http://www.caswellplating.com
          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

At which tank(s) do you get fumes? I havent started anodizing yet, still gathering neccesities. I live in New Jersey and I dont have a garage and its cold outside. I can however do it in my shed.
            But my question is, which tanks that need heat can be done safely inside? Im guessing the dye tank and the sealer tank. I can set up below a window and use an exhaust fan.
            I read that the ano tank generates heat so Im thinking that I can do that one outside.

I dont know, still learning...

Comment

I have my setup in a tin shed. The only tank with enough heat to fume much is the sealer. The dyes at 140* evaporate a bit but don't really fume. The anodize tank should not be getting that much heat. Yes heat is generated from running electricity through it but if it heats enough to fume like overcharging a battery something is wrong and you will not be growing any anodic coating. Being in a shed, you might have to use a glass aquarium heater to get you anodizing tank warm enough to anodize.
              SS

Comment

Originally posted by mcaswell
                Just ask for specific MSDS. They will be emailed to you.
                OK, i'll PM you. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X