X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acidrain
    replied
    Re: CV anodizing and electrolyte Titration

I'm back now. I'm in the process of locating different alloys. Any help out there? I'm looking for 2024, 6062, 5052, and 7075. Larger samples would be best. I can machine to shape, and pay for shipping.
    I got a sweet spread sheat that calculates how much aluminum to add, etc., per titration results.

People, this is advanced stuff here, and contrary to caswells proven methods. If you try CV anodizing, you're on your own. Don't ask for help, don't anodize non-replacable parts, and don't contact caswell with problems. This is just an experiment, and I suspect the results will only confirm the validity of Fibergeeks, and others hard work, which has discovered and proven the LCD method works (and works well).

Leave a comment:

• Sid03
    replied

Acidrain- have a gauge on the way. Let me know when you want to do some experimenting.

Leave a comment:

• -AAPB-Eric
    replied

Just to give you a heads up-

Spoke with AF for a bit, he said its really dependent on the dissolved AL content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArmyAntz-Eric
    Just have a general question about the tips about CV you gave me on the forums.

I have a 3:1 water to acid ratio and was wondering if this would change the perameters you gave me? I dont have anything titrated and wont for a while so would the calcualtion of SA and the proper calculations work in my favor till I get the titration kit or is this CV method forgiving?

AF- Thats hard to say. Its not that acid ratio that is the issue with CV, its the Aluminum content of the bath. Typically you want about a 10% of dissolved aluminum content in your ano bath to run CV. I dont know what your 3:1 works out to as in Grams per Liter, so I cant weigh in on that.

For now, ill just measure out the parts and compile a list. I wont have any issues sharing SA dimentions.
    Last edited by -AAPB-Eric; 03-27-2006, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sid03
    replied

understandable Mike.

Acidrain- Please PM me when you get back.

Leave a comment:

• luminous
    replied

Originally posted by mcaswell
    Perhaps we could make a 'private' forum for you guys, but personally I don't want this read by the majority of our customers.

I'm having nightmares already!
    Well, I can certainly understand the desire to not get a bunch of tech calls from folks trying to do CV anodizing, but I beg you PLEASE don't kill this thread! Some of us have already pretty much got CC anodizing figured out and are adventurous enough to want to experiment with other methods. Who knows, maybe someone will discover something that works even better than the current CC/LCD methods. Put up a seperate forum if you must and put up disclaimers that you don't want to hear about any tech problemes related to what goes on there... but please don't squash this thread. What these guys are up to is interesting!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• luminous
    replied

Originally posted by Sid03
    Nice

I have some thoughts on tests id like to run but I really need an eddy current gauge.....and I dont have one any longer. Anybody have one for rent or seen adecent price for a used one?
    I don't know what a decent price is, or even if this is what you need, but a quick search on ebay for "eddy current" turned this up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERIMET-M4900C-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Is that what you need?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• mcaswell
    replied

And within next to no time, I will be back into the situation I was in several years ago. Trying to deal with CV anodizing technical support.

Don't ask guys! You WILL NOT GET IT!

Bin thur! Dun that! AND it SUCKS!

Perhaps we could make a 'private' forum for you guys, but personally I don't want this read by the majority of our customers.

I'm having nightmares already!

Leave a comment:

• acidrain
    replied

No idea on the eddy current gauge... I've been trying to locate an assortment of alloys, and I'm haveing a hard time with that one. Maybe I'll hit up some local machine shops for some scraps.
    BTW, I'll be away from my shop for awhile, so I won't be reporting anything until I'm back.
    Keep, the fort intact while I'm gone... don't burn down the shop (gotta remember to unplug those heaters).

Leave a comment:

• Sid03
    replied

Nice

Well, ill get around to collecting the supplies I need for titration. I have some thoughts on tests id like to run but I really need an eddy current gauge.....and I dont have one any longer. Anybody have one for rent or seen a decent price for a used one?

Leave a comment:

• lcaswell
    replied

Originally posted by Sid03
    Hopefully caswells dont mind alittle experimenting with CV for the guys that have been ano'ing for awhile now.....if they do feel free to PM me.
    Don't mind at all.

Leave a comment:

• acidrain
    replied

CC is the method of finding the surface area, calculating the amps required, and running for a duration calculated with the 720 rule.
    CV is anodizing at a certain voltage, and letting the amps do whatever they want. The theory is that the amps will settle in at the same amps that would have been calculated with surface area x CD. It's more of a let 'er rip method, with the advantage of not having to calculate the surface area.

Leave a comment:

• destroyer125
    replied

This is sounding very interesting but im still confused on what the difference is between CV and CC annodizing

Leave a comment:

• acidrain
    replied

Thanks for your offer. More is always better when it comes to experiments.
    The titration supplies can be purchaced at www.Cole-Parmer.com, but I found them a little high priced. I found a scientific supply store locally that had everything I needed (I didn't buy a stir station). Thier website is http://www.wine-testing-supplies.com...cgi?=&pg=store
    My experiments will consist of running known alloys in CC, and finding the volts for each. Then make the same runs in CV just to confirm it works OK.
    After I have some results from the experiments, I'm toying with the idea of starting the run in CV, noting the amps after 5min or so, then switch to CC. I really like the idea of using CV so that surface area measurements are not necesary, but I'm convinced that CC is the proper and better way to anodize. The best of both worlds?
    I'd love to hear what experiments you would like to see.

Leave a comment:

• Sid03
    replied

acidrain- Very interesting. I havnt been doing any ano for some time now(too many other side projects going on), but have been wanting to get back into the shop soon. If you need somebody to run some experiments with ya, let me know and ill see if I can free up some time.

Either way, do you mind telling where you got your titration supplies? Id definetly be interested in playing around with CV. Like you, I do alot of pball related items.......with all the different markers and parts its almost impossible(or very time consuming at the least) to get all the surface areas for the parts. For example, even though im sure you spent a fair amount of time getting the shocker surface areas you posted in the other thread, ya have no real way of knowing exactly how far off your guesses are.....and with the combination of several parts at once the surface area calculation error could be fairly large. Hopefully caswells dont mind alittle experimenting with CV for the guys that have been ano'ing for awhile now.....if they do feel free to PM me.

Leave a comment:

• acidrain
    replied

Thank you Lance. I was hoping I wasn't stepping on toes by even bringing up the subject. As you said, the professionals are a stuborn bunch... rarely will they give away any secrets. I was actually approached by Randy with questions of how I am able to have such good results with the graphics I'm doing. I gave him all my secrets only to find him not really wanting to give me any of his (with regard to sprayable dyes).
    He was very open with the subject of CV though, and that's how I even started thinking of it.
    To answer your question, my tank is approximately 40gal... a large plastic bin supported with a insulated plywood box. I use both air and circulatory agitation. I learned early on that the temperature of the bath made a huge difference in the final product. I also observed how it affected the volts as well. I worked hard at building a system that carefully controls the bath temperature, and find my setup VERY consistant.
    My system is really running well. There is no reason to change anything except that carefully measuring the surface areas of intricate parts seems to be the biggest time consumer of my operation.
    More experiments are in order before making any permanent changes to my proceedures.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X