Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!!!

SA of my part is 23.538, according to the 720 rule to get .7 mills, I need 6 amp CD, current set at .98 for 84 mins, with a peak voltage of 15 v

This brings me to a couple of questions:
    1.can you explain how to "set" the current, I read about this but I'm not quite sure if I am understanding.
    2. The 720 rule says peak voltage is 15 v, I have a 12 v charger, as usual I'm a little short( I'm 5'7" tall) is this a problem?

These numbers are on, are you using the 720 calculator? A couple of points for you on these calculations. The CD can be changed from 3 to 6 ASF to allow for different short comings in a system. Don't go below 3 ASF because the coating grown will be too soft and pore size too large to give good results. If you only have 12V capability, drop to a 4.5 CD for a projected peak voltage of 11.25V. It will drop you amp setting to .74A and raise the run time to 112 minutes for the same thickness coating. The peak voltage is only a calculation. It is usually close but due to all the parameters that will effect it (tank temp, connections), it will not always be right on.

Using the light bulbs, you have to measure the resistance of the bulbs and using Ohm's law calculate the amperage they will allow at the voltage they run at. Run the needed amount of bulbs in parallel to add up to the amperage you want. You can see a light board I made for mine in my picture album on the 3 gal setup.

Using the dimmer setup, you adjust the dimmer to vary the voltage to achieve the amperage you want.

With these methods accuracy is difficult and tweaking of the voltage is needed during the run.
    SS

Comment

SS,
      So I use the lights OR the dimmer, not AND the dimmer, right?
      Also, as I do not have a inline ammeter I will have to chack amps through out the run with my tester, is this also correct?
      I am just trying to make sure that I get it right, so bear with me.
      Thanks
      Canute

Comment

You can use one or the other. I used the light bulbs and it was a royal pain. Acidrain uses or did use the dimmer with a charger. It seems to me the dimmer would work better. Easier to make adjustments during the run.

To know what is going on you will need to be able to check voltage and amperage during the run. That's where the resistor comes in, to be able to check the amperage with a DMM.

SS

Comment

O. K. Thanks, I've had some electric classes, but it's been a while, but now I see where you are going.
          later I should be able to add an inline ammeter, that should make it easyer to see what happening
          Thanks again,
          Canute

Comment

Better than an in-line ammeter would be to upgrade to a CC/CV PS. Don't mean to harp on it but first time you use one you'll see what I'm talking about. Your first good piece coming out will make all the trouble worth it.
            SS

Comment

Hey everyone sorry about the long silence, life you know sometimes takes over!
              In any case, tried my new dyes and set up out, the first run my wire anodized, but not the part, I already know why( I've been reading). the next patch came out great!!! I did this little airbrush stand for my buddy, and it came out a nice deep red!!! I could NOT be happier!!!
              SS, I will be getting a PS soon, I hope.
              I also will be starting to "play" around with masking and try a fade, this is great THANKS everyone!
              Canute

Comment

Good to hear. A few good results make the troubles and hassles seem not so bad. Post some pics if you can.
                SS

Comment

SS, I ordered my power supply yesterday, should be here next week. I got a digital CC/CV 3amp unit, it should easily handle the size of operation that I currently have.
                  Sorry can't do pix at this time, I'm not up to date on all the gizmos (my computer still is using windows9, I may be able to come up w/ pix later on.
                  Thanks again,
                  Canute

Comment

Working...
                  X