Non-standard Looks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-standard Looks

This aluminum tile is supposed to be anodized. Can someone explain how this was done. I'm also curious about other non-standard finishes. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Non-standard Looks

That looks like an applied finish to a cast part. Those types of finishes can be found at metal craft suppliers like http://www.epi.com/metalantiquing/quote-request.html and http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/metal.htm
    It may be anodized first, then the finish applied.
    As for other types of special ano finishes, those are hard earned secrets that few will give up easily.
    Last edited by lcaswell; 04-05-2006, 10:19 PM.
    I do things.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I wasn't asking to show me how to do it, but where I might see more and also source it. I would like to get something simular done. As well as learn more as to what is possible.

The part is forged. I checked out the finish site you linked, but couldn't find anything for aluminum. Any other ideas?
      Last edited by FireBiz; 04-05-2006, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBiz
        This aluminum tile is supposed to be anodized. Can someone explain how this was done. I'm also curious about other non-standard finishes. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you
        Anodizing is a controlled accelerated growth of natural oxide. It's done by submersing the part into an acid bath and running controlled current through the part. After the coating is grown, the coating can be dyed. Pictures are difficult to tell finishes in. The pic you show does not look like it is anodized. I'm not saying it is not but due to the coloring and shading I would not take it for anodized. It has more the look of copper coating that has been chemically treated or antiqued. Have you any knowledge of the production date of the part in the pic? Is this the part that you said would be susceptible to 550 to 650 degree heat? When you ask about non-standard finishes, do you refer to the finishes used or the appearances that are not normally seen?
        SS

Comment

I'm searching for new and different finishing looks/appearance and techniques. I came across a web site that sells the "forged anodized tiles" you can see at http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/37/ scroll down and you will see a number of samples.

I agree with them not looking anodized... but as I am not totally familiar with the process I though I would ask the people who know.

Yes this or can be the parts subjected to the high temperatures. In the case of the tiles the temp range would be more like the 450 to 500 F range.

An additional question, would high temp clear coating the anodized material help with dealing with the temp range I'm working with. I guess for the most part I will have to do some experimenting.

Regards

Comment

The base colors are not hard to do. The shading part is the catch. I have only gotten that look in wood staining. It has to be something in the dye consistency and/or technique being used.

There are three types of anodize on aluminum
            Type I Chromic acid anodize. Usually used to protect the substrate as a primer under other coatings. It is not done by many due to the type of acid used. I have only read about it and have no first hand knowledge.
            Type II Sulfuric acid anodize. Most widely done. Good dye qualities and protection a the substrate. Will not hold up to highly acidic or base chemicals.
            Type III Hard anodize. Not dyed or limited colors due to pore size. Done at higher currents and low temperature.

I am not familiar with any clear coat that can handle that kind of heat. I don't see a benefit to the anodize if they have one but that is just my opinion.
            SS

Comment

Working...
            X