green and blue dye probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green and blue dye probs

I recently purchased blue A4 dye and green AEN I believe, first time ive used these colors, I annodize long enough and at the right amps to get a jet black finish but when I try parts in the green and Blue I have I cant get them in a deeper colour, Would my dye tanks temperature have anything to do with this?
    www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Re: green and blue dye probs

What temp are you running your dye tanks at?
    SS

Comment

currently I run all my dyes at room temperature and havent had a prob til now

Also a correction I have green dye SNG (the irish lookin one) not the AEN and fast Blue
      Last edited by destroyer125; 04-22-2006, 03:05 AM.

Comment

It's a good possibility that could cause some problems. When you mixed the dye, did you heat your distilled water to 180*(I think is what it says,I'd have to check) and add the dye to make sure it dissolved good.
        I have always heated my dyes to 140* and not had any problems as long as the coating was right.
        SS

Comment

You absolutly have to heat your dyes to 140F... both for good penetration, and to fully disolve into the water.
          I do things.

Comment

I will work on getting some decent fishtank heaters to help the dye, will that heat the dye to the needed temperature

Comment

I have tried a couple glass fish heaters(after taking apart and removing the thermo). They work good but they break easy,especially with radical temp changes.For 13$ apiece, the caswell 300watt were the better deal.I'll be getting a couple more!

Comment

No, the fish tank heaters don't get hot enough. The cheap and easy is either Caswell 300W heater and thermostat (best) or a large stainless stew pot from the dollar store and a cheap hot plate (will work). The low setting on most hot plates is around 140*.
                SS
                Last edited by sswee; 04-22-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

would 300w fishtank heaters work....I found some local

Comment

I have been doing a lot of small parts, so I use the rubber made small food stoarge containers (cheap 4 packs like you tak eto work and eat out of) I nuke them in the microwave till I get 140*. It takes about 3 minutes on most of them, I also have some larger ones that may take 6 minutes

Saves a lot of time and power compared to other heating methods, not messy, and so far I have not seen any harm to the dye using the nuker

Clint

Comment

that isnt an option for most of the parts im doing, but when I do some smaller parts I might try that, I might also do some test pieces that way

Comment

The fish heaters will work if they dont have a thermostat.I found a couple on e bay for like 5$ each,then shipping costs and my time to take them apart without breaking them to remove the thermos. Easier and cheaper to buy the 300watt ceramics.

Comment

Working...
                        X