Homemade chiller in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade chiller in the making

I am investing in a homemade chiller, ive got the coiled pvc snake and the dorm fridge, I also upgraded to a heavy duty 26 gallon tank and it has the best lid ive ever seen for an ano tank

My only problem is finding the right pump, that wont fail on me and isnt going to be to overpowering or bulky for my little setup

Also, if anyone is interested, I will upload some pics
    www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Re: Homemade chiller in the making

For pumps, check out Little Giant Pumps. The magnetic drive section.

http://www.lgpc.com/index.aspx

I used a 3-MD-HC on a 20 gal tank and had no problems. Great agitation also. You can restrict the output to adjust for your needs, just don't hinder the intake. The only downside is the price but you can look at the specs on their site, then shop around.
    SS

Comment

I'd like to see pictures. How much do you figure the setup's going to wind up - did you pick up a used fridge?

Comment

new dorm fridge 1.5 sq ft $70, + another ~$15 for pipes and elbows, now the pump

Comment

That's not bad at all. I'll be interested in hearing how well it works.

Comment

sswee, what did your pump run, I see a used one on ebay for 180, and it says its used

Comment

Brand new from a distributor was $200. The benefits I got from it, made it worth it but it's still hard to turn loose of the money. For $180 it shouldn't have more than a couple of hours on it and even then for a few dollars more you could get some kind of warranty.
              SS

Comment

Im gonna try and find a cheaper one, im trying to spend less then what I would have then buying a saltwater aquarium chiller

Comment

I understand but don't forget even an aquarium chiller has to have a pump also.
                  SS

Comment

So I gather you have the plastic tubing in the anodizing tank, and pump some water through it to gather the heat, but how does the fridge fit into the equation? i.e. what's the connection to the tubing at the fridge end?

Sage

Comment

I got a 1/3 hp electric fan motor, runs really good, think it would be possible to connect it to a corrosive pump head?

Im thinking of making the coil longer, and have it go down in a small tub that will have water, making a heat sink which will help cool down the pipes as the acid circulates

Comment

I'm not sure how much heat the anodizing is going to create, and how fast, but I'd be wondering how much heat the fridge can pull out of it's interior and how fast. The small fridges really don't generate many BTU's per hour. They depend on the small sealed container and lots of time. Your always going to be fighting the air to either water or plastic transfer inefficiency problem.
                        If I were doing it I'd find the coling coil in the fridge, pull it out, and put it in the same bucket with the water and the plastic pipe. Then you have water to water contact between the cooling coil and the plastic pipe. You'd have to put the thermostat tube in the water too. That's the best you'll do there then it's up to just how much cold the cooling coil can generate.

Sage

Comment

Ive pulled the back off, and didnt find a coil, I didnt tear it completely apart though, Im hoping as long as the fridge can keep 2 gallons of water cold inside it, it will be able to handle the load. The water should be able to disapate the heat alittle better then just bare pipes

Comment

That is a lot like the one I made. When sitting idle, the acid in the tubing gets nice and cold,. Then, when when you turn on the pump, it will cool my tank approx 2deg F, but then stalls at cooling it further. If you can fit all that tubing into a tank of water that also fits inside the fridge, it would probably pull the heat out of the tubing a little better than just the air.
                            Also, using 2in. rigid insulation around the ano tank, and sealing the enclosure as best you can helps a lot at holding the temp down when not in use.
                            lOOK'N GOOD!
                            I do things.

Comment

I Plan to build a box soon for it, all my funds currently are going into a pump. I lost a Corrosive little giant pump earlier on ebay by 10 seconds and $1

im also experimenting with putting 2 gallons of acid in the fridge, cooling it down overnight, then using it, not sure how much of a dent it will put in a 30 gallon tank

this doesnt have a highly corrosive head on it,anyone think it will hold up? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
                              Last edited by destroyer125; 06-25-2006, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X