• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd attempt

My second attempt at anodizing-

estimated SA= 14sq inches, ASF@9
    60xx or 7075 grade, not sure which.

Brief etch in lye & water (@ 4-5 minutes) followed by a de-ox/de-smut
    Ano bath 80 minutes @low to mid 60s, next R.O dip, Dye (blue4A) about 3 minutes @90', another dip in R.O., Seal 20 minutes @160'+ (steaming hot!)

Only one nut lost connection. There is some slight shadowing on one or two parts.
    Attached Files

Re: 2nd attempt

Getting there. Try to get your dye up to the recommended temp.
    SS

Comment

As a newbie here can you tell me how temperature affects dye? I have noticed the blue 4a is really really dark (almost black) after 20 minutes. Those parts were barely in there 3 and they came out deeper than I expected.

Comment

Consistency is the main reason. I have had some colors that only took 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. The temp effects the dye absorption. There have been a few posts stating the dye worked at room temp but many posts concerning dye problems that were rectified through an increase to the recommended temp. The recommended temp of 140* was made by the people that designed and manufacture the dye. It's one of those things that you may get away with for awhile but will cause problems sooner or later.
        SS

Comment

SS,

If the makers said it that makes sense to me. Tuesday night I did another job but this time using violet and brought the temp up to about 110'. The parts took a while to absorb it. Once they were in about 10 minutes they began to look good. At 15 I pulled them and was 100% satisfied.

Both times the material was mainly 7075. The nuts don't seem to need a de-smut so I'm thinking they are 6061.

Maybe I need to do another job using blue and see what happens. Also, I need to get a candy thermometer and put it in my sealer tank to get a more accurate reading on temp.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X