Big quote for us with lotsa Masking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big quote for us with lotsa Masking

We just got a RFQ for this part for anodizing 40 of them clear, but need to mask it in the areas I've colored red. I've estimated the SA at to draw about 8 amps a piece at 6ASF and I think we can only do 2 in a batch, maybe 3 if I play with the current density and time. I've not had much experience with masking yet so I was curious what the general consensus was for masking this? Do you us the Caswell Mask It ruber cement type stuff or some kind of tape or a combination of both or some other ingenious ideas? Part is about 5x5x2.25.
    Attached Files
    Justin Martin, VP
    Blackcote
    RR1 Box 116
    Liverpool, PA 17045
    www.blackcote.com
    blackcote@pa.net

Re: Big quote for us with lotsa Masking

Mask it will work fine for your application.

http://caswellplating.com/kits/maskit.htm
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Anyone want to guesstimate how long something like this takes to mask with mask it? I tried using the mask it on a test piece once and it took a forever to do a 1.5" diameter circle, and it was difficult to keep it from getting in a groove next to the mask. Was pretty difficult to remove as well, but I think I read somewhere that lacquer thinner helps in that department. Anyone have tips on best practices while using the stuff?
      Justin Martin, VP
      Blackcote
      RR1 Box 116
      Liverpool, PA 17045
      www.blackcote.com
      blackcote@pa.net

Comment

Can the entire inside of the box be left unanodized?
        It might be easier to cut a plastic plate that fits the flange and glue it down with mask it or rubber cement than it would be to try and do it all with mask it.

Comment

Nope, print says only surfaces shown, would be worth asking though. Seems the quote requestor is only a secratary and doesn't know anything about the function of the part, so were stuck with following the print to the T. Besides there's thu hole slots in the top that would let the electrolyte in. Nice idea though.
          Justin Martin, VP
          Blackcote
          RR1 Box 116
          Liverpool, PA 17045
          www.blackcote.com
          blackcote@pa.net

Comment

Originally posted by blackcote
            Nope, print says only surfaces shown, would be worth asking though. Seems the quote requestor is only a secratary and doesn't know anything about the function of the part, so were stuck with following the print to the T. Besides there's thu hole slots in the top that would let the electrolyte in. Nice idea though.
            Ahh, didn't realize it had slots in the top.
            Perhaps make a stencil of some sort so you can just spray or brush the mask on easier without getting it in the "forbidden zones".

-

Comment

hmmm stencil.... I see possibilities there. take a plastic folder or similar and cut it up and mask away not sure how I'd use a stencil to keep it from running down the side though. and spraying the mask... I like the concept but seems like it'd be hard to keep overspray from getting to unwanted areas even with a stencil. This seems like a job for tape of sorts (not sure how) but is there any that with stand 180 deg cleaner and hold up to the electrolyte.

Hmmmm... thinking about this a bit more I think I'd use tape around the ousides for spray or brush application, maybe tape inside wall as well too keep from spraying or running down the inside of the part. not sure what to do with that groove though then. Not sure yet how I'd approach the depressed area though. I just think it will be an uneven line in the corners if masking with mask it. Ideally we'd have a few masking fixtures built, but I don't think 40 pcs. qualifies for that.
              Justin Martin, VP
              Blackcote
              RR1 Box 116
              Liverpool, PA 17045
              www.blackcote.com
              blackcote@pa.net

Comment

I could cut masks for you using my Roland cutter and 3M vinyl. All I need is an accurate Jpeg, and dimensions. PM me if you want to try it.
                I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by acidrain
                  I could cut masks for you using my Roland cutter and 3M vinyl. All I need is an accurate Jpeg, and dimensions. PM me if you want to try it.
                  It sounds like this would definitely be the way to go for you. That 3M vinyl works great for masking.
                  •Inferno Custom Paintball•

Comment

PM sent. Thank you for the heads up.
                    Justin Martin, VP
                    Blackcote
                    RR1 Box 116
                    Liverpool, PA 17045
                    www.blackcote.com
                    blackcote@pa.net

Comment

Working...