120vAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120vAC

i heard that the big anodizing companies dont use CC power source, instead they use 220 or 120 AC power source, is this true? can we use this too?

Re: 120vAC

They often use CV power sources, and anodize at around 15volts. They also use much stronger acids and ano for shorter periods of time because of the increased current. They also anodize known alloys.
    It is possible to home ano using CV, but you have to know you're exact ano bath resistance and calculate out your individual requirements.
    In order to do this (and large ano companies do this daily), you need to do what's called titration. It involves analyzing the bath PH using buffers, etc. to arrive at total acidic value, and dissolved aluminum. It's complicated.
    If you have a CC PS, and you know the alloy, It's possible to create a graph of what your tank does at a given temperature and known alloy. You could then take that info and extrapolate out what voltages are being drawn at a given temperature and known alloy.
    The bottom line is, you have to have a CC/CV power source, a way to control your temperature with 2F, and know the exact alloy you are anodizing.
    If you have all that, then it is possible through some trial and error, BUT, don't come here looking for help. Caswell's LCD method is a proven home-method of anodizing, and they don't want to confuse beginners with anything other than their method.
    I do things.

Comment

I use CV anodizing instead of CC. I will not get into detail as caswell does not support the subject. If your an industrial place, its key to keep everything as consistant as possible. I have set times I run parts for at the same temperature every time and get consistant results im very happy with.
      www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by fourkbmx View Post
        i heard that the big anodizing companies dont use CC power source, instead they use 220 or 120 AC power source, is this true? can we use this too?
        I run a mid size anodizing shop with a 1000 amp 15 v 3phase DC power supply but 15v is only good on the aluminum I work on. EX: 2024 needs 21 volts as 5052 only needs 14.5 volts. so yes most mid size to major shops use bigger power supply's and go more with voltage then amperage. Voltages vary by alloy ingredients
        http://zanodize.com

Comment

Originally posted by Z View Post
          I run a mid size anodizing shop with a 1000 amp 15 v 3phase DC power supply but 15v is only good on the aluminum I work on. EX: 2024 needs 21 volts as 5052 only needs 14.5 volts. so yes most mid size to major shops use bigger power supply's and go more with voltage then amperage. Voltages vary by alloy ingredients
          Hi Z, nice to hear from one of the big boys...
          If you don't mind me asking (if you know):
          What current densities does that translate to?
          What temperature do you run your tanks?
          Can you get any of that good "non-etching" degreaser for us?
          I do things.

Comment

I'm not too big, but bigger then you guys

current densities I'm not to sure. I pretty much learned and built this shop on my own with help from "Aluminum HOW TO" book.

I run my ano tank at a high temp usually 74-75F to achieve a darker shade of black since I mainly do black.

cleaner: 135 F
            etch tank: 133 F
            desmut/deox: room temp
            ano tank: 74-75 F
            black dye tank: 130-140 F other dye tanks: room temp
            sealer: 170-180 F

I could get that good stuff...

Comment

15%/wt at 72 F with the recommended voltage like 14.5 for 5052 will have 12 amps per square foot.

Comment

Good stuff
                I do things.

Comment

were can i buy that book, i think it would be very useful.

Comment

Saw that he didn't heat other color dyes.What is the negative side effect to that?

Comment

were can i buy that book, i think it would be very useful.
                      This book contains just about everything you need to know about anodizing, also has hard coat anodizing and chromating.

https://www.efinishing.com/html/probert.html

Comment

Originally posted by Empire03 View Post
                        Saw that he didn't heat other color dyes.What is the negative side effect to that?
                        I haven't come across any negative sides, the colors come out deep. I suppose if I heated the dye I could probably cut my dye immersion time down some but that would be only like 5-10 mins.

Comment

i guess he uses tin salts with AC power aplied, usually big comps uses this process called electro coloring but im not sure im just guessing

Comment

he uses 12 amps per square foot at 15v how is that posible, i guess the 720 rule doesn't apply here, i do my runs at 12amps, 30 volts no matter what alloy im using im doing things wrong i guess does any one has the voltage vs alloy info?

Comment

he uses 12 amps per square foot at 15v how is that posible, i guess the 720 rule doesn't apply here, i do my runs at 12amps, 30 volts no matter what alloy im using im doing things wrong i guess does any one has the voltage vs alloy info?
                              His acid is much stronger, and therefor the volts needed for a given amperage is lower.
                              The 720 rule applys only to 1:3 battery acid/water.
                              I do things.

Comment

Working...
                              X