About small parts - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About small parts - again

We're having good luck with anodizing large sheets and lengths of wire. However, we also need to do a lot of small parts. The only info I can glean from here is that it's very difficult. My questions are:

I have bought some anodized aluminum dog tags in the past in multiple colors, in lots of 1000. How are these done? It can't be too difficult because they are made in the US and are inexpensive. Would it work to put them on a pin rack? Do they have to be shoved onto the pins tightly enough so that they won't fall off? If so, wouldn't there be some un-anodized areas where the holes on the tags came into contact with the pins? We have examined them and the color is uniform - there is no apparent contact point. We have tried shoving the parts onto a length of wire, but they usually just fall off the wire as the anodizing process changes the size of the hole.

This question was asked a while back but did not get an answer. We have purchased large batches (pounds) of anodized aluminum jump rings (small metal rings for chain maille). The color is uniform, even on the ends of the rings were they are cut through. There is no apparent area of contact. How are they doing these?

thanks!!

Re: About small parts - again

There is always going to be a small (almost invisible) contact point. You're going to have to rack them using small inside clamping wires. 1/16in Ti wire works well, and is not too expensive. They can be bent tightly and handle a hole size if slightly over 1/8in.
    For holes smaller than that, I suggest using 1/8in rod smashed flat with a hammer, then ground to kind of an arrowhead shape. These can be wedged tightly into smaller holes.
    For threaded holes, use a die to thread the end of your wires.
    This pic shows a bigger size, but you get the idea:
    I do things.

Comment

Anodizing dog tag like items can be held by titanium finger racks similar to what I have. These are available from most anodizing/plating rack companies such as vulcanium and servisure. These racks I have will hold 96 pieces per rack.

The Jump rings are anodized in a titanium anode basket where all the rings are tightly clamped together then when dyed, the pressure is released and a strong agigtation in the dye is used to cover up most of the connection marks.
      www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

Thanks - will try the wire option and will probably also go with the rack at some point soon. thanks for the info!
        Robin

Comment

PS - just checked with Servasure and they have a tiny parts rack that will accomodate objects with holes as small as 2mm, so we have that on order and will give it a try.
          thanks again for the responses.

Comment

That rack I have shown above will hold something with some pretty tiny holes, just as long as there is 2 of them within about 1/2" from each other, otherwise you end up needing a bigger contact point..
            www.125customs.com - Quality custom anodizing for simple and complicated jobs.

Comment

Working...
            X